Thread: New Maritime Strategy Released

Default New Maritime Strategy Released

Just saw this press release about a new comprehensive maritime strategy agreed to by USN,USMC, and USCG. Here is a link to the document. I suspect it will be an interesting read.
    Last edited by wm; 10-18-2007 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wm View Post
    Just saw this press release about a new comprehensive maritime strategy agreed to by USN,USMC, and USCG. Here is a link to the document. I suspect it will be an interesting read.
    I look forward to reading this. I participated in a few of the early prep sessions for it at Newport (basically as an excuse to get a lobsta) and was struck by the degree to which the Navy was floundering without a raison d'etre. Perhaps the thinking evolved a great deal but what I was seeing at that point was a near disregard for what seems to me to be its greatest strategic relevance--power projection as part of a team with the Marines--and instead a near obsession with sinking Chinese ships. The Marines in our group were aghast as just what a limited role their service had in the initial conceptualization of the new maritime strategy.

Interesting document....kinda fuzzy, like most of these things are. I'll be curious to see what sort of stuff they come out with to support this...especially since it's calling for a much more forward, deployed presence for all naval components.
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

Council Member

Transcripts of 13 Dec 07 HASC testimony on Global Maritime Strategy Initiatives:

Admiral Gary Roughead, CNO

Admiral Thad W. Allen, Commandant USCG

General James T. Conway, Commandant USMC