Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
I've long advocated a 6-7mm cartridge (the US Army 6mm SAW round had development potential) for man portable Platoon weapons, 10mm for a pistol or SMG and an enhanced 7-8mm cartridge for MMGs (a Co/Coy weapon IMO), some Sniper applications and vehicle weapons. A pepped up 8mm Remington Magnum (with an unbelted case), would work...

The .338 is a good cartridge but I think a bad compromise between 7.62 and 12.7; it's a little too big and like FNs abortive '15.5mm' too close to the 12.7 to be a really meaningful alternative.
It’s easy to agree with almost all of item 177. However believe its last sentence should be made explicit and commence:

The .338 is a good cartridge ' for a sniper’s bolt-action rifle ' but I think a bad compromise between 7.62 and 12.7 ' for use in any MG ' ;

There is one point of contention, that 10mm for pistol and SMG. 10mm might be preferred in the USA but many in NATO and affiliates would propose ' 9mm with alternate barrels for 6.5mm '.

But none of this throws light on what the usually astute GD really intends for its LWMMG.