The article states that the anti-globalists used internet technology in the same way to coordinate many of their activities in Seattle and Genoa, and I'm sure elsewhere, so this isn’t entirely new, but I still don’t think we have grasped the potential of this dangerous enabler to facilitate global and regional mass resistance movements.

While still a novice, I’m reading and reflecting as time permits on complexity theory and networks. This is one area I think Tom and I disagree on, because I think the riots in France are a harbinger of worse to come for Western Europe. What may have been a series of isolated riots in due largely to economic disparity, is now potentially the seed of a semi-radical Muslim movement throughout Western Europe.

I want to clarify that statement, first I don’t like the use of semi-radical (it is simply expedient), but I don’t think the riots are due to Islamists, but for the most part frustrated main stream Muslims who can’t (or won’t) integrate into their country’s culture and economy. This isolation and economic disparity will obviously create a breeding ground for an insurgency over time, whether the insurgency is in the form of voting blocks, passive action, or violent activities. Currently we have a series of riots that I believe the French will eventually suppress. The riots while disruptive are not the greatest danger, it is the new network, new mass movement, of frustrated European Muslims. I’m sure leaders have emerged over the last few days, and informal groups, that could easily become formal resistance groups. These leaders will likely be approached by Islamists, and they will become increasing sophisticated and globally linked (think globally, act locally).

Furthermore this problem is not confined to France, as there is potential for this to spread to like minded folks and groups in Germany, Italy, Netherlands, and Spain to name a few. I think the seeds of a new insurgency have been planted and in time these riots will be seen as the genesis of the movement.

Why we struggle with our intelligence bureaucracy with grossly over classified documents, and stove piped organizations, which prohibit us from seeing the larger picture in a timely manner, the insurgents are moving at the speed of the internet. Who is inside who’s decision cycle?