Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fear as A Political Motivator

Default Obviously, you're defining semantics

Quote Originally Posted by Rank amateur View Post
    ...It is the semantic reaction, that makes people reach for kinetic weapons.
    somewhat differently than I. My observation has been that visceral reactions, not semantic ones, tend to lead to breaking the Broadswords out of the thatch...

Default Ummmm

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    somewhat differently than I. My observation has been that visceral reactions, not semantic ones, tend to lead to breaking the Broadswords out of the thatch...
    Actually, Ken, that's pretty much how Korzybski defined a semantic reaction .
    Sic Bisquitus Disintegrat...
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies,
    Senior Research Fellow,
    The Canadian Centre for Intelligence and Security Studies, NPSIA
    Carleton University
    http://marctyrrell.com/

Default I thought that was a General Semantic reaction

as opposed to a semantic reaction...

My observation has been that visceral reactions, not semantic ones, tend to lead to breaking the Broadswords out of the thatch...
    Ken,

I suspect the visceral, AKA emotional, reaction you describe is part and parcel of the sematic reaction. Every word has some emotional charge attached to it--comes with learning any language's vocabulary. For that reason, I doubt that, short of killing them, we ever truly change anyone else's fundamental semantic reaction. We may suppress it (Marc's point about it being a short term event), but it will return, often at the most inopportune moments.

Default Okay, Guys, I give up. Wait and see when I try to be

funny again.

Jeez. Can't even yank an occasional chain with a semantic quibble... :^)

Thumbs up Good study materials

Quote Originally Posted by wm View Post
    While I agree to a large extent with Norfolk's take on Hobes, I have some other issues about it and with MarcT's earlier post, quoted below. For those who want to cut to the chase here's my bottom line (which I justify eventually down further):
    BLUF: Perhaps a Rousseau-like myth seems a better place to start in the Middle East. After all, through the insistence on using Shari'a as the basis of government and justice, the opponent is advocating for a "divine right" state of sorts .

I am somewhat confused by this post. What variant are you talking about? The usual application of the Prisoner's Dilemma is to show a fundamental inconsistency in acting egoistically. It purports to show that acting in what appears to be your unique self-interest results in an outcome that is least in your self interest. I'm not sure how that plays into the Hobbesian myth from Leviathan about how and why we form governments. Another use of the Prisoner's Dilemma is an attempt to show how Adam Smith's hidden hand makes for the best outcomes for all in a laissez faire market--another interesting myth, IMHO.

I view the Hobbesian position as fundamentally opposed to that of Locke--Hobbes' view of human nature is that we are basically bad while Locke thinks we are basically good. Hobbes also views our resources as constrained--there isn't enough to go around for everyone while Locke seems to think we have more than enough natural resources to turn into "property." For Hobbes, we need an outsider to keep us in line and make sure we share the limited resources. For Locke, we appoint a special agent to allow us to get on with enriching ourselves and keep those who would acquire property the easy way (by theft) from doing so. BTW for Hobbes revolution is not a right of the governed; it is a right in Locke's view, which probably explains why Jefferson and Co. look much more Lockean than Hobbesian in their efforts.

This all has little to do with the real world I think (except perhaps for the division of labor piece). BTW, I'm pretty sure most of the post-American Revolution uprisings/rebellions/ revolutions (and revolutionary writings, like Marx's and the modern Frankfort School folks, e.g.) are based, philosophically, on Rousseau, who is at odds with both Hobbes and Locke in important ways. Rousseau's hidden agenda/ interest is to justify getting rid of a government based on "divine right." (He didn't have a Henry VIII to break him from the Catholic guilt trip about obeying the duly annointed sovereign. Nor did he have a John Wesley to advocate for a missionary spirit vis-a-vis the urban poor, which kept England from undergoing the post-Congress of Vienna tumult that the Continental states experienced). Rousseau creates his social contract myth to explain why divine right is the wrong model for understanding how and why "man is born free yet is everywhere in chains."
    Great discussion

While I am studying up on some of the theories you have all mentioned ,has anyone worked with what I believe was Cooley/Goffman looking-glass and would it also be related research for this type of discussion ?

Default Sure you can

funny again.

Jeez. Can't even yank an occasional chain with a semantic quibble... :^)

But most of the best opportunities for learning and understanding start out as/with a joke

Hi Ron,

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Humphrey View Post
    While I am studying up on some of the theories you have all mentioned ,has anyone worked with what I believe was Cooley/Goffman looking-glass and would it also be related research for this type of discussion ?
    I've used Goffman's Framing as a way of examining external environmental selection pressures in social settings. I find that it complements the work of Schutz and Luckmann (Structures of the Lifeworld, vol 1 & vol 2) while, at the same time, can easily go on top of neural networks. I read Cooley's work quite a while ago and, while I don't use it, I suspect some of it has stuck in my subconscious .

For the past, oh, 12 years or so, I've been trying to formalize the concept of "cultural schemas" at different levels: neurological, cultural and sociability. I'm still not happy with the models I've produced, but I think they are a decent start that would fit into this area.
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Senior Research Fellow,
    Carleton University

Wink Any direction welcome

Quote Originally Posted by marct View Post
    Hi Ron,

For the past, oh, 12 years or so, I've been trying to formalize the concept of "cultural schemas" at different levels: neurological, cultural and sociability. I'm still not happy with the models I've produced, but I think they are a decent start that would fit into this area.
    I would appreciate any suggestions you might have on more directed studies realted to this type of process. Aside from the analytical side I have also started playing around with possibilities towards simulated abstractions based on real interactions, thus hopefully allowing for slightly more realistic fiction.

So To Speak

I realize this is so far beyond me it's not funny , but one must have goals.
    Last edited by Ron Humphrey; 12-04-2007 at 04:48 AM. Reason: edit and add

hI rON,

I would appreciate any suggestions you might have on more directed studies realted to this type of process. Aside from the analytical side I have also started playing around with possibilities towards simulated abstractions based on real interactions, thus hopefully allowing for slightly more realistic fiction.
    lol - Life is fiction; at least in the sense of improvisational acting . The reference I have been tossing out recently is "This is your brain on music" by Daniel J. Levitin (book and web site). Rally good as a primer on both music and neurology, although not really getting heavily into the other aspects of cultural schemas except at a surface level.

Another good place for some basics is the Evolutionary Psychology Primer, by Leda Cosmides and John Tooby, which lays out some of the model of the social effects of neural evolution. Then it starts getting tricky...

I realize this is so far beyond me it's not funny , but one must have goals.
    Who says it's beyond you?!? Go for it and have fun . BTW, I use some of this (without the references) in my Market Research consulting.

Marc
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Senior Research Fellow,
    Carleton University

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by marct View Post
    hI rON,

lol - Life is fiction; at least in the sense of improvisational acting . The reference I have been tossing out recently is "This is your brain on music" by Daniel J. Levitin (book and web site). Rally good as a primer on both music and neurology, although not really getting heavily into the other aspects of cultural schemas except at a surface level.

Another good place for some basics is the Evolutionary Psychology Primer, by Leda Cosmides and John Tooby, which lays out some of the model of the social effects of neural evolution. Then it starts getting tricky...

Who says it's beyond you?!? Go for it and have fun . BTW, I use some of this (without the references) in my Market Research consulting.

Marc
    Thank You
    I will stay fairly busy digging into what you've given me so far.

On quick review I couldn't agree more with this premise:

Quote Originally Posted by Evolutionary Psychology
    It was (and is) common to think that other animals are ruled by "instinct" whereas humans lost their instincts and are ruled by "reason", and that this is why we are so much more flexibly intelligent than other animals. William James took the opposite view. He argued that human behavior is more flexibly intelligent than that of other animals because we have more instincts than they do, not fewer. We tend to be blind to the existence of these instincts, however, precisely because they work so well -- because they process information so effortlessly and automatically. They structure our thought so powerfully, he argued, that it can be difficult to imagine how things could be otherwise. As a result, we take "normal" behavior for granted. We do not realize that "normal" behavior needs to be explained at all. This "instinct blindness" makes the study of psychology difficult. To get past this problem, James suggested that we try to make the "natural seem strange":
    Last edited by Ron Humphrey; 12-05-2007 at 12:07 AM. Reason: bad spelling

My favorite is still "Our modern skulls house a stone age mind" .
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Senior Research Fellow,
    Carleton University

Default Fear as a Social Motivator

I couldn't keep from jumping in, as fear is one of my favorite emotions to discuss. Perhaps I could best contribute in a sociological vein (although my field is criminology). I think the previous discussion has been spot on regarding Hobbes, Rousseau, etc., and while I'd love to delve into the sociology of Cooley on fear (I think he forshadowed the whole symbolic interactionist notion of expectation or anticipation on that, as well as emphasized the social group - reference group - prerequisite for fear), I'm much more comfortable discussing Weber and/or Parsons on fear. It is the consensus of most sociologists that both of these thinkers downplayed the role of fear; Weber, in jumping from the centrality he gives it in Ancient Judaism to making it a residual ideal-type in Protestant Ethic; and Parsons, in attempting to give some play to "affective action" but falling back upon a dualistic interplay with "affective neutrality." Yet, there is insight to be salvaged from Weber and Parsons, particularly in the charismatic authority concept, which in large part, relies upon the manipulation of fear. This is looked down upon by much of modern sociology, but criminology accepts much of it (as well as the Hobbesean roots) while psychology has its concept of attitude. As a trans-historical phenomena that rests on no other legitimacy than its own strength, charisma plays an important role in heterogeneous societies. It manifests itself in local contexts, to be sure, but Parsons (and Shils) toy with the idea that charismatic fear (not punitive fear or magical charisma) provides societies with ways to identify their "danger spots" and hence draw together to face a common challenge. Turner's Charisma Reconsidered is a good essay on this.