Thread: Homosexuality and Military Service (Merged thread)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default This captures some of my thoughts on this subject...

A Marine colonel with substantial command time addressed some BIG problems that will arise.

What,he asked, does “serving openly as a homosexual” mean?
    Is all homosexual conduct permitted, e.g. cross dressing when going to the PX? What conduct is not permitted?
    Will “hate speech” policies apply to the armed forces after the repeal of the law? If a service member uses a term offensive to homosexuals, can he be charged with hate speech? Will commanders be required to take judicial action? If no judicial action is taken, will commanders be subject to civil or criminal suit by various homosexual political groups and their elected sponsors?
    Will the personal opinion on homosexuality of a service member become an impediment to promotion or assignment to key billets? Are there any assignments to which homosexuals must be or may not be assigned?
    Will the Senate and the House Armed Services committees demand sexuality statistics to make certain that homosexuals are being promoted at the same rate as non-homosexuals? Will homosexuals be promoted at a faster rate to “compensate” for previous years of discrimination?
    What benefits will same-sex “partners” receive? How long must one have a relationship to qualify as a partner? Will partners of homosexuals be assigned to on-base housing? Do former partners of active duty homosexuals retain dependent benefits (like a divorced spouse) when divorce is not a legal option?
    Will homosexual service members be permitted to date each other? Live with each other as partners in bachelor officer quarters (BOQ) or bachelor enlisted quarters (BEQ)? How does this affect fraternization regulations?
    Will homosexuals be deployed to countries where homosexuality is a crime? If not, who picks up the slack?
    (Mod's Note: text was in red, placed in quote marks and no link. PM to author).

Some thoughts:
    What about those who ARE offended by homosexual behavior or homosexuals in general? are their rights not taken into consideration? How about the male who is serving and now walks into a bathroom and there is an openly serving male? or the reverse? Since the openly gay male is orientated female, should he be in the male bathroom? Shouldn't he be in the female bathroom? What about those females who don't want physical male using this facility? How about basic training? Are you now going to force those who see homosexuality as sin to shower, train etc...in close quarters?

As you can see, there are some larger issues beyond "I don't like homosexuals" that need to be addressed.
    There was nothing wrong with the policy. Our military has long been used as a social experiment. THAT beyond this policy repel is what is and will continue to erode unit effectiveness.

Me personally. I am sure I have served with homosexuals, I don't want to know, nor do I care. I do see it as a sin, as my faith compels me to do so. I am sure that will step on toes, but I don't care; however I also refuse to discriminate against anyone because of what they believe or look like etc...
    I do think that at this point in time, this is the absolute wrong time to address this.
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 12-20-2010 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Moderator action