Very interesting about attitudes towards sexual orientation varying along age and generation. What happens in the barracks with sexual activity sounds very similiar to college dorms. There was a rule passed recently at the University of Bostom that roommates can't have their boyfriend/girlfriend spend the night in the room with the roommate present. Of course it also ruled out sleeping together in the same bed with clothes on and not doing anything. Its common to have stories where one roommate falls asleep, the other brings in his/her guy/girlfriend and they get it on and wake the roommate who was asleep up. Happened in my undergrad when my roommate thought I was asleep, it was bad manners! Plain and simple. So I learned to tell roommates that if they ever want the room during some alone time with the boy/girlfriend, I will stay out and respectfully give privacy.

Schemlep, are men allowed to visit women's barracks just to drop by and say hi casually? In the scenerio you described, it didn't sound like the guys were causing "harm." The article in the LA times about lesbians getting discharged made it sound like men were sexually harrassing iwomen who refused their advances, then the harrasing men got angry saying the women were lesbians so they got discharged for DADT. That article put all the blame on the guys.

I had no idea how aggressive and territorial the lesbian "gatekeepers" were in blocking the guys. I'm also surprised by the high number of lesbians in the military too. I remember watching Gen. Pace's testimony about how important morality was to him, about officer's not sleeping with other officer's wives. Makes sense after learning what you shared about the 5-10 incidents of other sexual activity going on between heterosexuals married/non married.

How would the army fix its disipline problems? As an outsider most of the problems I hear about in the military has to do with wounded warriors, tramatic brain injury and POST on military personnel and families, at least that is what the DoD media shares.

Most lesbians/gay students I've encountered in academia seem the opposite of the type described guarding the barracks. They are like any other student group, but tend to be "politically" progressive by liberal academia's definition. Maybe the military setting just brings out that aggressive side

Naomi