Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Police Work

Default Good Police Work

Nice Las Vegas PD Takedown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FSG5I6fL_Q

"Take your hands out of your pockets and step to the police car...."

---> Key phrase "You are making me nervous"...

I've told you "Take your hands...."

Do not resist.

Do not resists or you're going to get the Taser...

TOUCHDOWN!!!! You're right good police work. Though the "Amped" up comment could suggest he already had decided to whack on the guy, and the police officer that was already there should have been contact rather than the guy rolling up second (who should have been cover).
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

Hi selil, I didn't really try to analyze it that much I just thought it was a cool takedown. Your analysis of the overall situation is probably correct.

PS. I really like your post on another thread about writing the guy a ticket over the dog barking incident.

It's been a long time since I worked on the street, but I had fun when I did. I never took myself or the job to seriously. When I worked inside the Jail and in the Courts I figured out I liked being inside where it is warm and it didn't rain.
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

Cool Takedown!

That is much better than a leg sweep because it is much more of a shocking surprise.

I am not sure we could have gotten away with that though because it looks a lot like a blow to the throat.

Default Questionable?

What would have happened if the white male's head had hit the pavement and split open? The way that move works it is dangerous and appears to rely on the victim naturally keeping the head off the floor. If their co-ordination is reduced by drink or drugs - messy.

davidbfpo

Default He'd probably be dead or at least suffer some

brain damage, I suspect. Given the knee on the back of his neck, I imagine he got a skinned nose at a minimum to add to his sore larnyx.

Our Police are not generally as polite or tolerant as yours -- though my perception is that our hooligans are not nearly as prevalent or rough as yours. Cause and effect? Dunno.

What I do know from a brief stint as a Cop, US variety, is that the most common crime in the US is P.O.P. - Pissing Off the Police. Generally wise to avoid that. Also been my observation that when confronted with two armed and healthy males, discretion is almost always the better part of stupidity. There are some here in the US who might sympathize with the young man and rail about Police brutality but most folks won't.

We do speak an approximately similar language but the mores and standards are a bit different. Neither's wrong, they're just different.

Police officer responding to scence of a fight between two adult males has three things on his mind. First protect himself and bystanders, secure the individuals involved, and secure the scene. The key phrase from the officers lips was "You are making me nervous" that is code language and two steps up the ladder of force from presence. The first step would be holding his hands up in front of him. The officer gave the obligatory three warnings. He could have waited but hands in the pockets (and he forced his left hand deeper after being warned) is the last thing a perpetrator should do. I've sat on sevral internal affairs reviews (one of the reasons I'm no longer a cop), and this case I'd have smacked the officer for grand standing in front of the cameras and gave him a "go ahead" on the use of force. Listen to what he says once he has the guy down. Talking the suspect "cleanly" through the take down is excellent technique yet force was maintained and the guy was even warned a fourth time of possible escalation (don't make me get the taser out). As I said earlier taking over contact as a second responding officer instead of taking cover would have me whack him in a review board. Though I would piss in a police chiefs cheerios if he brought something this silly to a review board. Dang three posts about the police and I'm devolving already....
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog

Looked a lot like this.

Do you smell what I'm cookin'?
    Example is better than precept.

Rotflmao...
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog

There should be a "sportscenter" for cops and that would definitely make it on the highlights!! The guy had his chance... Guns and badges tend to put me in obey mode.
    -john bellflower

Rule of Law in Afghanistan

"You must, therefore know that there are two means of fighting: one according to the laws, the other with force; the first way is proper to man, the second to beasts; but because the first, in many cases, is not sufficient, it becomes necessary to have recourse to the second." -- Niccolo Machiavelli (from The Prince)

Quote Originally Posted by davidbfpo View Post
    What would have happened if the white male's head had hit the pavement and split open?

davidbfpo
    His posture, facial expression and refusal to take his hands out of his pockets meant that guy was going down to the pavement in any event. The technique worked well. Everybody went home that night, the young gentleman to a new home, but home never-the-less.

Cool Not bad

Quote Originally Posted by davidbfpo View Post
    What would have happened if the white male's head had hit the pavement and split open? The way that move works it is dangerous and appears to rely on the victim naturally keeping the head off the floor. If their co-ordination is reduced by drink or drugs - messy.

davidbfpo
    I think this is probably why the tact chosen was best. The fact that he did not know what might be in the pocket lent to the wisdom of a surprise move. This in turn would bring the suspect's natural reaction to try and catch himself dis-allowing the use of any weapon which might be hidden.

I say good call.

Quote Originally Posted by LawVol View Post
    There should be a "sportscenter" for cops and that would definitely make it on the highlights!! The guy had his chance... Guns and badges tend to put me in obey mode.
    If it was on NFL Prime Time, he definately would have made Tom Jackson's "Jacked Up"
    Example is better than precept.

Default More Good Police Work

You sure this isn't a blackwater add?
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog

Council Member

slapout9,

Great video. I'd seen it before, but it's always fun to watch again.

davidbfpo,

True, but sometimes a cop has seconds to make a decision that can be reviewed for years. I think the cop did good. I suspect the move would get your esteemed countryman W.E. Fairbairn's approval as well.

KenWhite,

P.O.P.? I thought it was C.O.C. - Contempt of Cop. I'm sure that's in our state statutes somewhere. Or at least our municipal code.
    "Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper

Rifleman, great catch I was wondering if anybody was old enough to recognize the move. I worship at the alter of Fairbarn and Applegate every chance I get.

davidbfpo that's right you folks taught it to us.
    Last edited by slapout9; 12-05-2007 at 08:38 PM. Reason: add stuff

Default Heh. C.O.C. will get you smacked about a bit

Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
    ...KenWhite,

P.O.P.? I thought it was C.O.C. - Contempt of Cop. I'm sure that's in our state statutes somewhere. Or at least our municipal code.
    That's a felony; the misdemeanor of P.O.P only gets you a ticket or minimal slammer time...

Slapout;

Fairbairn and Applegate??? Who dey??? (You ARE Old.... )

Thumbs up Great ---

Quote Originally Posted by slapout9 View Post
    Rifleman, great catch I was wondering if anybody was old enough to recognize the move. I worship at the alter of Fairbarn and Applegate every chance I get
    More names and history to research.