Thread: How About a SWC "Secure" Forum?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I am personally against a restricted discussion for SWC.

a) they are not certified to handle even Unclass/FOUO information as a non .gov/.mil site, nor should they. Even though I know both Bill and Dave to be fine patriots, they can't host anything more than we are talking about now.

b) there are several "restricted" discussion loops out there, although many are invite-only.

c) The Army has the whole BCKS infrastructure behind it's firewall (incl COIN Forum, TT forum, Company Command, NCO Net, Platoon Leader, Log Net, etc.) for FOUO type discussions not accessible to google.

d) Those with SIPR, well, there are SIPR sites.

The thing SWC does for us is provide an open, international, civilian, military and academic forum to hash out issues - behind a screen name if you wish - to preserve some semblance of anonymity.
    Last edited by Cavguy; 01-29-2009 at 11:47 PM.
    "A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge."- Oddball, Kelly's Heroes
    Who is Cavguy?

Quote Originally Posted by Cavguy View Post
    The thing SWC does for us is provide an open, international, civilian, military and academic accessible forum to hash out issues - behind a screen name if you wish - to preserve some semblance of anonymity.
    This is a key point. You simply will not get the diversity of commentary that we enjoy behind a secure .mil-style gateway. Folks that want that sort of insulated discussion most likely already have access to such forums, anyhow.
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cavguy View Post
    I personally am against a restricted discussion for SWC.
    I agree with Niel on this one. A supposedly "restricted" discussion component of the board potentially creates a false sense of what can, or cannot, be discussed in forum, and increases the chances that someone violates OPSEC.

It is far better to have the discussion open here--and therefore for everyone to be mindful of what they post because they assume that nothing is secure at all.

Default Agree with the three above.

No valid purpose to such a site that I can see.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    No valid purpose to such a site that I can see.
    Agreed. It would do little more, IMO, than create yet another stovepipe and help encourage groupthink.