Quote Originally Posted by Gian P Gentile View Post
the early doing of history (a prediction by a student of history)Watch for short articles by neo-conservative magazines that will start to provide a counterfactual explanation tied to the current Surge with the idea of resurrecting the former Secretary from mistakes made during the early months of the war. The counterfactual will pose that if the American Army would have had a better command team in place with a better understanding of Coin doctrine, cultural awareness, HTT teams, etc then the policy goals that the former Secretary was trying to accomplish could have been achieved. These writers will use the current and apparent successes of the Surge to show how things might have been different back in 03. All of this with the idea in mind to resurrect the former Secretary and detach him from purported mistakes made by the American Army earlier in the War.
Gian,
As another student of history (and historiography to boot), I have a different name for what you are describing. But, I will be polite and just call it revisionist history, which in accounting is known as "cooking the books." Congress jumped on the bandwagon after the Enron debacle and created Sarbanes-Oxley. Is there any hope that they will every legislate full and open discosure of political policy-making? I think not.