Thread: Marine Corps Gazette Article

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Marine Corps Gazette Article

All,

Within the past year there was an article in the Gazette that mentioned the 5 biggest tactical "inventions" of the 20th century. Vertical envelopment and paratroopers were included, however I cannot remember the other 3. Any help is appreciated.

S/F

Claymores

crossposted to another forum, here the result:

I logged onto my account at mca-marines.com and searched the Marine Corps Gazette archives back to January 1, 2006 with no luck.

However, if your buddy can come up with anything else as criteria to refine
    the search, aside for various combinations of "tactical inventions,
    innovations, 20th century, vertical envelopment, and paratroopers" I will
    try further
    Ball in your field,

Silento
    Last edited by Silento; 03-19-2008 at 10:39 PM.

Silento,

Thanks for trying. I just can't find it.

S/F

Claymores

Council Member

I am unable to login to the archives right now (I can search but not view the articles), but I believe it's in the Nov 2006 "Where is Pete Ellis" article. My hard copy seems to have vanished; I'll try again later to get the online version.

Edit: Nope, that's not it. I know of what you speak but can't recall where it appeared.
    Last edited by mmx1; 03-21-2008 at 11:21 PM.

Council Member

Aha! April 2007, "For what are we ready?", by Capt William Birdzell.

In the conclusion, he notes the five great improvements of the 20th century as amphibious assault, close air support, vertical envelopment, tank blitz, and parachute operations. He credits the Marine Corps with the first three and the Germans with the rest.

Pays off to have hard copies.

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by mmx1 View Post
    In the conclusion, he notes the five great improvements of the 20th century as amphibious assault, close air support, vertical envelopment, tank blitz, and parachute operations. He credits the Marine Corps with the first three and the Germans with the rest.
    Not read the article, but let me get this right,

The USMC developed amphibious operations prior to Galipoli? Close air support , before the RAF in Palestine in 1918, - or the Luftwaffe in 1939? Dunno what "vertical envelopment is", but was it before the Royal Navy used Helicopters to land a Commando Battle Group in the 1956 Suez operation?

And the Germans developed tank operations, before 1916, and Parachute operations before the Russians in 1932-36 IIRC?

I could be wrong, and maybe I have not understood the meaning of the word "developed."
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by mmx1 View Post
    Aha! April 2007, "For what are we ready?", by Capt William Birdzell.

Pays off to have hard copies.
    Thank you sir, that's it!

S/F

Claymores