Thread: Targeting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hi Tom, I did that is why I posted the report that I did. The lines you quote are almost identical from ones that appear throughout the Crony Strategy as to how best to affect the enemies will. It's a short read and worth the effort. I don't have 35.00 dollars for the book so can you elaborate on the part where you say his review of the 5 rings was very damning?

hey Slap

The lines I quoted are from the crony study. Where and why I would say Kiras' description of the 5-Rings theory is damning is quite simple: it is very much an extension of the annihilation theory/strategy inherent in earlier and parallel strategies. In my own experience, reality offers no counter to someone whose determination to prove a theory is more important than US troops lives on the ground. As Kiras relates Horner fired Warner and sent him home.

Targeting, effects, D3A, etc as we use it here is holistic and used to drive operations through assessment and retargeting. Where the 5-rings goes astray is its application/promulgation as an absolute. That is what I ran into in Checkmate when Instant Thunder was put on the table as a war winning solution that ignored ground reality.

Best

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Odom View Post
    As Kiras relates Horner fired Warner and sent him home.
    Best

Tom
    Hi Tom, I thought you were quoting from the book and I was thinking to myself I just read that

Warden was asked by Swartzkopff (spelling) and Powell to brief Horner. Yes he was asked to leave (fired...don't think I would call it exactly that) because the then Major Deptula stayed behind and maintained continuous contact with Warden who was picking targets from back in Washington. Also less than half of the targets survived from the orginal plan and Warden I am sure was rather vocal about that. It was almost 1/2 instant thunder.

Quote Originally Posted by slapout9 View Post
    Hi Tom, I thought you were quoting from the book and I was thinking to myself I just read that

Warden was asked by Swartzkopff (spelling) and Powell to brief Horner. Yes he was asked to leave (fired...don't think I would call it exactly that) because the then Major Deptula stayed behind and maintained continuous contact with Warden who was picking targets from back in Washington. Also less than half of the targets survived from the orginal plan and Warden I am sure was rather vocal about that. It was almost 1/2 instant thunder.
    In saying he was fired (Warden) I was relating what Kiras said. Since Kiras interviewed Warden and said that Warden and Horner got into a shouting match that lead to Warden being sent from theater, I would say "fired" describes it.

best

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Odom View Post
    said that Warden and Horner got into a shouting match that lead to Warden being sent from theater, I would say "fired" describes it.

best

Tom
    I have talked to Warden about that and the shouting match is probably a polite way to describe it compared to what actually happened. Also he did have a situation where he actually was fired from his command in Germany. Which most people say that is actually what kept him from becoming a general officer, not the incident during Desert Storm as is sometimes portrayed. Horner even did a nice review of his book after it was all over. Later

Very good paper on Targeting with SBW. Appears the Army has been doing EBO all along

http://www.strategicstudiesinstitute....cfm?pubID=938

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by slapout9 View Post
    Very good paper on Targeting with SBW. Appears the Army has been doing EBO all along

http://www.strategicstudiesinstitute....cfm?pubID=938
    Key Leader Engagements (KLE) ? Something the Brits have were doing in Northern Ireland for 30 years.

If you read history you save a lot time.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition