Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Targeting

Very good paper on Targeting with SBW. Appears the Army has been doing EBO all along

http://www.strategicstudiesinstitute....cfm?pubID=938

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by slapout9 View Post
    Very good paper on Targeting with SBW. Appears the Army has been doing EBO all along

http://www.strategicstudiesinstitute....cfm?pubID=938
    Key Leader Engagements (KLE) ? Something the Brits have were doing in Northern Ireland for 30 years.

If you read history you save a lot time.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post
    Key Leader Engagements (KLE) ? Something the Brits have were doing in Northern Ireland for 30 years.

If you read history you save a lot time.

Close Wilf, it is the Air Policing Strategy applied from the ground. Which I am a strong advocate of. Much to do was made about the Air Policing Strategy because of bombing villages......very little was made of the fact that an Air Force Intelligence officer went to the village elder first! and told them what would happen if they did not comply. They also went back afterwords to see if they had changed their mind, and when they did good things followed.
    Bullets and Bribes can be very effective.

Close Wilf, it is the Air Policing Strategy applied from the ground. Which I am a strong advocate of. Much to do was made about the Air Policing Strategy because of bombing villages......very little was made of the fact that an Air Force Intelligence officer went to the village elder first! and told them what would happen if they did not comply. They also went back afterwords to see if they had changed their mind, and when they did good things followed. Bullets and Bribes can be very effective.
    Emphasis added.

Too true. I think of that as common sense, but then I realize that I learned it through the trial and error of experience. Carrot and stick, coerce, influence, and negotiate.

Great article Slap. The author is one of my big-brained classmates. She was picked up as part of Patraeus' Dream Team in Iraq.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    Emphasis added.

Too true. I think of that as common sense, but then I realize that I learned it through the trial and error of experience. Carrot and stick, coerce, influence, and negotiate.

Great article Slap. The author is one of my big-brained classmates. She was picked up as part of Patraeus' Dream Team in Iraq.

Mike
    Hope after all, there is a thread on here somewhere from a few years ago where I recommended doing that based upon what Warden taught on how to target leaders inside companies with the 5 rings method and then influence them. It is called triangulation.

Council Member

Default The Targeting Process: D3A and F3EAD

The Targeting Process: D3A and F3EAD

Entry Excerpt:

The Targeting Process: D3A and F3EAD
    by Jimmy A. Gomez

Download the Full Article: The Targeting Process: D3A and F3EAD

Since October 2001, combat operations in the Afghanistan Theater of Operations have presented the U.S. Army with constant evolution of complex situations that have routinely highlighted shortfalls in current doctrinal solutions. At every echelon, the Army has adapted to the complex situations within the Operational Environment (OE) by revising doctrine to reflect the adaptive responses to the ever-evolving spectrum of threats. The spectrum of threats within the operational environment range from smaller, lower-technology opponents using more adaptive, asymmetric methods to larger, modernized forces able to engage deployed U.S. forces in more conventional, symmetrical ways. In some possible conflicts (or in multiple, concurrent conflicts), a combination of these types of threats could be especially problematic to a one-dimensional, all inclusive Targeting Process.

Download the Full Article: The Targeting Process: D3A and F3EAD

CW4 Jimmy Gomez is currently the Course Manager and Senior Instructor for the Field Artillery Warrant Officer Instruction Branch at Fires Center of Excellence, Fort Sill, Oklahoma. He served with the 25th Infantry Division Staff in Afghanistan 2004-2005 and in Iraq 2006-2007.

--------
    Read the full post and make any comments at the SWJ Blog.
    This forum is a feed only and is closed to user comments.

Default SWJ The Targeting Process: D3A and F3EAD

There is a live exchange on SWJ entitled 'The Targeting Process: D3A and F3EAD', which IMO should be linked, if only as Slapout is in his element and this thread has his earlier contributions.

SWJ Link:http://smallwarsjournal.com/blog/201...a-and/#c022455
    davidbfpo

Default Like I Said Strategy Is Targeting!

And somebody is doing a pretty good job against Iran on this one...of course we don't know who is doing this

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news...r-against-iran

And somebody is doing a pretty good job against Iran on this one...of course we don't know who is doing this

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news...r-against-iran
    That one seems pretty loud for something executed by SAD or Mossad types, though even the monkey falls from the tree from time–to–time. I suppose those or similar organizations might have meant to send an unmistakable message. But my personal preference is the stiletto rather than the bludgeon whenever possible (figuratively as far as my own actions go, of course ).
    If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed. – Mark Twain (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by ganulv View Post
    That one seems pretty loud for something executed by SAD or Mossad types, though even the monkey falls from the tree from time–to–time.
    Not that loud. Took the guys head off but left his limbs and torso intact; little damage to vehicle, driver died in the hospital.
    “[S]omething in his tone now reminded her of his explanations of asymmetric warfare, a topic in which he had a keen and abiding interest. She remembered him telling her how terrorism was almost exclusively about branding, but only slightly less so about the psychology of lotteries…” - Zero History, William Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by ganulv View Post
    That one seems pretty loud for something executed by SAD or Mossad types, though even the monkey falls from the tree from time–to–time. I suppose those or similar organizations might have meant to send an unmistakable message. But my personal preference is the stiletto rather than the bludgeon whenever possible (figuratively as far as my own actions go, of course ).
    It is like the old style Mafia, they were sending a message along with the attack.

It is like the old style Mafia, they were sending a message along with the attack.
    Bibi likes people to think, “That guy’s just waiting for an excuse to knock my front teeth out.” A useful survival strategy where he’s from (by which I mean Philadelphia).
    If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed. – Mark Twain (attributed)

The Israeli message here is: we can’t pull-off an airstrike to take out your nuclear program, and we can’t convince the Americans to do it for us – so we are just going to provoke you into retaliation so the Americans will attack you.
    “[S]omething in his tone now reminded her of his explanations of asymmetric warfare, a topic in which he had a keen and abiding interest. She remembered him telling her how terrorism was almost exclusively about branding, but only slightly less so about the psychology of lotteries…” - Zero History, William Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by bourbon View Post
    The Israeli message here is: we can’t pull-off an airstrike to take out your nuclear program, and we can’t convince the Americans to do it for us – so we are just going to provoke you into retaliation so the Americans will attack you.
    Yes, a very dangerous game going on here

Yes, a very dangerous game going on here
    Americans will follow their own plans, as other countries do.

Ludwik Kowalski (see Wikipedia)
    Ludwik Kowalski, author of a free ON-LINE book entitled “Diary of a Former Communist: Thoughts, Feelings, Reality.”

http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/life/intro.html

It is a testimony based on a diary kept between 1946 and 2004 (in the USSR, Poland, France and the USA).

The more people know about proletarian dictatorship the less likely will we experience is.

Council Member

Default F3EAD: Ops/Intel Fusion “Feeds” The SOF Targeting Process

F3EAD: Ops/Intel Fusion “Feeds” The SOF Targeting Process

Entry Excerpt:

--------

Council Member

Default Targeting Challenges in the Advising Environment

Targeting Challenges in the Advising Environment

Entry Excerpt:

--------

Council Member

Default Adding the Warrant to Your Quiver: Ten Tenets of Warrant Based Targeting

Adding the Warrant to Your Quiver: Ten Tenets of Warrant Based Targeting

Entry Excerpt:

--------

Default Targeting rules

Thanks to a SWJ Tweet here is a surprising US document now in the public domain, with my emphasis:
    Last week without fanfare, a 230-page military document (PDF) appeared in the public domain. The document, authored in May 2016, is a comprehensive list of rules, standards, and definitions governing the heart of what the military does: picking targets, and making sure those targets are valid and within the bounds of the laws of war. The Pentagon isn’t exactly sure how the document ended up online.
    Link:http://www.popsci.com/pentagon-targe...eleased-online

IIRC we have debated the RoE, but just where was hard to identify - hence being posted here. Lawfare I know has spent time on this subject.
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 11-27-2016 at 08:42 PM. Reason: 32,045v
    davidbfpo