Thread: Iraq: Permanent U.S. Bases Unacceptable

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Iraq: Permanent U.S. Bases Unacceptable

Iraq will never allow the U.S. to keep permanent military bases on its soil, the government’s national security adviser has said.
    "We need the United States in our war against terrorism, we need them to guard our border sometimes, we need them for economic support and we need them for diplomatic and political support," Mowaffaq al-Rubaie said.
    "But I say one thing, permanent forces or bases in Iraq for any foreign forces is a red line that cannot be accepted by any nationalist Iraqi," he said, speaking to Dubai-based al Arabiya television in an interview broadcast late Dec. 10.
    http://www.defensenews.com/story.php...2165&C=mideast

To be honest with you - i think this is all crap. Mowaffaq al-Rubaie just said this in order to be on more 'friendly' terms with Saudi Arabia and other Arab states. In fact, it has worked since the UAE and Saudi Arabia will reopen diplomatic missions etc. in Baghdad which will lead to embassies.

As an Iraqi, I would love Iraq to host American military bases in Iraq so that it deters Iraq's neighbours from invading (Iran, Syria, Saudi Arabia etc.).
    Also, it means Iraq will remain democratic and no more dictatorships.

A friendship that America has with Germany, South Korea and Japan i hope will happen to Iraq as well.
    Last edited by ali_ababa; 12-15-2007 at 01:44 PM.