Thread: A Modest Proposal to Adjust the Principles of War

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Norfolk View Post
    I will add this to Steve's remarks: until recently, Commonwealth Doctrine (to the extent that it formally existed, which was somewhat scant until more recent years) tended to regard Military Operations dealing with Terrorism and Partisan Warfare/COIN and their ilk as forms of "Aid to the Civil Power". As people here well know, that meant that the Military often conducted its operations directly under civilian operational or even tactical control; cooperation and coordination between the Police/Security Forces/Intelligence Services and the Military was essential and took some time to work out. That said, the term "War" was certainly applied, if loosely, to many of these operations.

Just curious, what was the success rate for operations conducted under this system?

On a seperate note, what ever happen to the principles of MOOTW (I always loved the way that word sounded ... MOOOO-TWAAAH!)
    Some of them, Restraint, Perseverance, and Legitimacy made it into the new Joint Principles.
    Last edited by TheCurmudgeon; 12-16-2007 at 10:35 PM.
    "I can change almost anything ... but I can't change human nature."

Jon Osterman/Dr. Manhattan
    ---