Thread: Efficacy of "teaching" ROTC

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

120mm-
    I did the ROTC contractor gig briefly, as only a short contract was available at that place and time. Even over the Summer, I think (or at least like to think) that I had a pretty significant impact on a few of the young warriors there. Your challenge will be slipping thought-provoking heresy into a fairly structured training (as opposed to educational) program. Make no mistake, at that level, it is training with clearly-defined, quantifiable objectives and goals, and only the slimmest leavening of education.

I believe you can have a significant influence as an MS I instructor- I still have a lot of respect for my MS I instructor, MAJ Ralph T. Owens and the lessons that were not part of the POI (regardless of anything else, and there may be folks out in the SWC who know part of that story). The secret is to really talk with the cadets, and acknowledge that the Army they are going into is not the Army you entered (just like the Viet Nam veterans instructing the 2LTs and PVTs going to Grenanda, and Winfield Scott when he wrote doctrine for soldiers who were be the first to have cartridge weapons).

A great experience for me, but very mixed for a number of reasons. Feel free to contact me off-line for more detail.
    Last edited by Van; 12-23-2007 at 11:58 PM.