Thread: Infantry Unit Tactics, Tasks, Weapons, and Organization

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Why not?

HIMARs carries the ATACMS and MLRS families of munitions and is C130 transportable.

ETA: The M777 does have some limitations. There is a need to traverse, but that is hardly slow.

The key advantage that it offers is reliability. An SPH that suffers a mobility breakdown is out of action. A towed piece can be pulled behind another prime mover.
    Last edited by SethB; 08-30-2010 at 12:45 AM.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by SethB View Post
    Why not?

HIMARs carries the ATACMS and MLRS families of munitions and is C130 transportable.
    It can't be slung. As described above, anything that can't be slung will hamper a Maneuver Force, 110mph vs 45mph.

The CH-53K, coming in the next 5 or so yrs, will have the lift capability; but I don't know if it will be something that they'll want to do.

The ATACMS is a reeaal beast. If you can put that thing on a truck I can't see why you can't fire it off an LCS?
    Last edited by COMMAR; 08-30-2010 at 01:16 AM.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by SethB View Post
    Why not?

I think you may have meant LIMAWS rather than HIMARS. IMO the best system the British Army NEVER had

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tukhachevskii View Post
    I think you may have meant LIMAWS rather than HIMARS. IMO the best system the British Army NEVER had
    HIMARS drivers can let some air out of the front tires and back it into a C130.

Last edited by SethB; 09-01-2010 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Added image.

Council Member

Default Couldn't find the reference earlier...

but here it is. On the advantages of towed and SP guns from The 1st UK Armoured Division in Iraq;
    The L118 light gun also proved its worth, particularly when it was lifted along with sufficient ammunition onto the Al Faw peninsula early in the operation, thus freeing AS90s to commence tasks elsewhere. A proper balance of towed (both 105-mm and 155-mm) and self-propelled artillery would appear to be an essential future prerequisite.