Thread: Unrestricted Warfare Symposium 2007

Council Member

Default Unrestricted Warfare Symposium 2007

Last edited by Jedburgh; 02-16-2007 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Lots of links - added titles.

Default comment on unrestricted warfare

Thanks for this link. The symposium was probably a lot of fun for the participants. The readings are very informative, unfortunately in the world of short attention spans they will be considered too long and overlooked by the majority. Too bad as there is a lot of solid information burried within. Hopefully folks will take some time to read through it.

Banned

Default Unrestricted Warfare Has Had Two Symposiums So Far

Unrestricted Warfare was written by two Chinese Colonels in 1999. The CIA translated the text and its been an ongoing area of concerned discussion ever since.

URW doctrine is a means by which a weaker opponent can defeat a stronger opponent through widely distributed attacks across multiple domains (i.e., computer networks, communications, financial markets, media, terrorist acts) and without abiding by any commonly-held rules of engagement.

There have been two symposiums held so far on URW, both organized by Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Lab and sponsored in part by DARPA and the National Intelligence Council, among others. Here are the links to the original book, as well as the papers presented at each symposium.

Unrestriced Warfare by Qiao Liang and Wang Xiangsui
    Unrestricted Warfare Symposium Proceedings 2006
    Unrestricted Warfare Symposium Proceedings 2007

I also wrote a post at IntelFusion today with a few comments by two leading analysts on URW and it's impact on analysis within the U.S. Intelligence Community.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffC View Post
    Unrestricted Warfare was written by two Chinese Colonels in 1999. The CIA translated the text and its been an ongoing area of concerned discussion ever since.

URW doctrine is a means by which a weaker opponent can defeat a stronger opponent through widely distributed attacks across multiple domains (i.e., computer networks, communications, financial markets, media, terrorist acts) and without abiding by any commonly-held rules of engagement.

There have been two symposiums held so far on URW, both organized by Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Lab and sponsored in part by DARPA and the National Intelligence Council, among others. Here are the links to the original book, as well as the papers presented at each symposium.

Unrestriced Warfare by Qiao Liang and Wang Xiangsui
    Unrestricted Warfare Symposium Proceedings 2006
    Unrestricted Warfare Symposium Proceedings 2007

I also wrote a post at IntelFusion today with a few comments by two leading analysts on URW and it's impact on analysis within the U.S. Intelligence Community.
    A semi-related point. There is a citation on p. 121 which reads, "Steven Maizi and Thomas Kaiweite said in their report entitled Strategy and the Military
    Revolution: From Theory to Policy..."

I am "Steven Maizi." "Thomas Kaiweite" is James Kievet.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMetz View Post
    A semi-related point. There is a citation on p. 121 which reads, "Steven Maizi and Thomas Kaiweite said in their report entitled Strategy and the Military
    Revolution: From Theory to Policy..."

I am "Steven Maizi." "Thomas Kaiweite" is James Kievet.
    Cool!

Great, I just received a copy of the book from amazon.com. I suppose I should have googled it and tried to find it as a pdf.

Quote Originally Posted by bismark17 View Post
    Great, I just received a copy of the book from amazon.com. I suppose I should have googled it and tried to find it as a pdf.
    The one on Amazon is purportedly published by "Pan American Publishing." This is one of a number of sleazeball organizations (probably all different names for the same group) that take government documents available for free, slap a cover on them without the permission of the creating agency, then sell them. The "University Press of the Pacific" (which has nothing to do with any university) is another. "Juniper Grove" is the same thing. It's a scam. But Amazon won't stop it because it's technically not illegal and they get their cut.

even better is to go to the conf, hear the speakers, ask them questions (via tablet if you want), eat lunch with everybody, and then you get your free copy in the mail.

Or, you can just download the PDF: http://www.jhuapl.edu/urw_symposium/

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bismark17 View Post
    Return it for a credit. Amazon should refund your money as long as the book is in sellable condition.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainRunner View Post
    even better is to go to the conf, hear the speakers, ask them questions (via tablet if you want), eat lunch with everybody, and then you get your free copy in the mail.
    As soon as they hold it in Seattle, I'm there! Until then, I'll enjoy it vicariously through downloading the proceedings, and email.
    Last edited by Jedburgh; 12-19-2007 at 12:30 AM.