Thread: Simplified Version of FM 3.0

Default Simplified Version of FM 3.0

Courtesy of the inimitable T.X. Hammes.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Folks will quote page 6 for centuries

Now for the real question: how can we take something this simple and make it mind-numbing complicated so we can then sell a lot of systems necessary to make it work?..

Thumbs up Got to

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMetz View Post
    Courtesy of the inimitable T.X. Hammes.
    Love that.

Default Particularly loved

this . . .

Soldier: Individual speaking in expletives and wearing cool-looking digital camouflage that doesn’t blend in with anything.
    I've been wondering what the ACU is supposed to blend in with for a while now. . .

Good read.

Matt
    "Give a good leader very little and he will succeed. Give a mediocrity a great deal and he will fail." - General George C. Marshall

Quote Originally Posted by MattC86 View Post
    this . . .

I've been wondering what the ACU is supposed to blend in with for a while now. . .

Good read.

Matt

Well, it *does" blend with other soldiers who are also wearing it. I suspect it's the old thinking that says one does not need to be able to run faster than a bear, just faster than your buddy.

this . . .

Good read.

Matt

"The new Army BDU pattern seems to be quite effective, even in the most mundane of urban settings."

http://op-for.com/2006/12/camo_testing.html
    "In times of change learners inherit the earth; while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists." - Eric Hoffer

Council Member

This is going up on my Regimental Message Board.
    Last edited by Norfolk; 12-21-2007 at 05:19 PM.

Default Sources, we don't need no stinking sources

But where are the footnotes and bibliography??????? Let's hope the Chicago U. Press doesn't pick this up for publication.

Quote Originally Posted by wm View Post
    But where are the footnotes and bibliography??????? Let's hope the Chicago U. Press doesn't pick this up for publication.
    My understanding is that it is peer reviewed and vetted by experts. However, the version we are seeing is the non-academic version. Somebody likely has a draft that show's the footnotes but they were removed during editing for space reasons.
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

Quote Originally Posted by selil View Post
    My understanding is that it is peer reviewed and vetted by experts. However, the version we are seeing is the non-academic version. Somebody likely has a draft that show's the footnotes but they were removed during editing for space reasons.
    It is also important to note that no anthroplogists or other social scientists were called on to compromise their research ethics during the new FM's production. However two admin assistants did receive paper cuts when collecting printed copies of the annotated/footnoted draft from the laser printer's tray. At least that is what I've heard from usually reliable sources, taught at some military seminar by Steve Metz, who were involved in writing the original draft.

this . . .

Good read.

Matt
    Everyone knows that we went to the new digital uniforms in anticipation of the future war with the robots.
    "I can change almost anything ... but I can't change human nature."

Jon Osterman/Dr. Manhattan
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by TheCurmudgeon View Post
    Everyone knows that we went to the new digital uniforms in anticipation of the future war with the robots.

Like Tom Odom I'm a bow hunter. Sneaking up on a deer is one thing, but as a bow hunter I want to go in and out of public land without being seen too (unless I like watching my stuff walk away). Digital would be the last thing I'd use to hide but then again maybe not being able to hide is the inventors mind set? I was told that camouflaging a tank is like giving an ICBM a pretty paint job. It's only good for in barracks and nobody on the receiving end gives a darn how pretty it looks. Hence maybe digital is supposed to be "sexy".
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by wm View Post
    Nah, they won't want it;

first of all none of the writers gave up their names; second, even if they did i dont think any of them are of rock-star status.
    Last edited by Gian P Gentile; 12-22-2007 at 12:37 PM.

Council Member

Great work here! Almost as good as The League of Disgruntled Majors stuff!
    "Speak English! said the Eaglet. "I don't know the meaning of half those long words, and what's more, I don't believe you do either!"

The Eaglet from Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ski View Post
    Great work here! Almost as good as The League of Disgruntled Majors stuff!
    Who do you think wrote it?

Default I thought...

"The redistribution or impairment of biological functions intended to eliminate intercellular cooperation within a sentient organism" was the definition of "Happy Hour."
    "What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women."

Quote Originally Posted by Umar Al-Mokhtār View Post
    "The redistribution or impairment of biological functions intended to eliminate intercellular cooperation within a sentient organism" was the definition of "Happy Hour."
    No. Happy Hour is "The redistribution or impairment of mental functions intended to eliminate sentience within an organism"
    John Wolfsberger, Jr.

An unruffled person with some useful skills.