Thread: The Creation of Mechanized SOC Units

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by ODB View Post
    IAs far as having our own aviation unit, yes SOF does, but ask any SF guy when the last time they were flown by that unit. Us lowly SF guys are not sexy enough for them, we get much better support from conventional aviation and other services aviation units. When talking an infil platform it is just that a means to move from point A to point B, not a lot of special/elite training needed to do that. So in essence if I was to be moved by bus I would need an elite bus driver to drive me because he/she is so much better at driving.....sorry does not pass the common sense factor.
    I agree with most of what you said, but not this. Look into the history of WHY the SOF aviation unit was created aka "Operation Eagle Claw". There are requirments for flying SF missions that differ from GPF missions. I just can not think of armor asset missions that SF would do with eneough frequency to justify the creation of a mechanized SF unit. Perhaps a Ranger asset?
    Reed
    Quote Originally Posted by sapperfitz82 View Post
    This truly is the bike helmet generation.

Default Understand the why

Just stating the fact that "said" aviation unit rarely supports SF, therefore most of our support comes from conventional and other services. That would also factor into the decision as to why SF is currently fighting for their own aviation assets at the Group level, because SOF aviation in it's current form is not big enough to support all of SOF.
    ODB

Exchange with an Iraqi soldier during FID:

Why did you not clear your corner?

Because we are on a base and it is secure.

Council Member

Default Air-Mech Strike Force

Our DIV CAV Squadrons were very close to the intent here, albeit with a different METL.

Likely light tanks & tracks will facilitate more agility, maneuverability & force protection....

That being said, should the units be mechanised or motorised ?

I feell mechanised woud be better. What say you ?
    Last edited by Bullmoose Bailey; 01-21-2009 at 07:31 AM. Reason: spacing

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by Bullmoose Bailey View Post
    Likely light tanks & tracks will facilitate more agility, maneuverability & force protection....

That being said, should the units be mechanised or motorised ?

I feell mechanised woud be better. What say you ?
    The statement that "light tanks & tracks will facilitate more agility, maneuverability & force protection" is pretty context free. When, where and why might be useful to progress this as a discussion.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Council Member

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post
    The statement that "light tanks & tracks will facilitate more agility, maneuverability & force protection" is pretty context free. When, where and why might be useful to progress this as a discussion.
    A context free statement it is.

Thanks you for your question. In response; I've found myself dangerously canalised within the confines of semi- & improved surface roads which comprise our GWOT enemies' primary EA.

In certain of these experiences both pre & post 9-11 I was having great success with wheeled vehicles.....on roadways.

The ability to move off the roadways at a high rate of speed would enable certain bypassing of contacts, envelopments, spoiling attacks, and attacks in depth which would much behoove our efforts in various zones & theatres of operation.

Given the multitudinous terrains over which we should be prepared "engage & destroy the enemies of the United States" (from the latest Soldier's Creed, GEN Schoomaker) to include, but not limited to, urban, agrarian, water, mud, mountain, hill, desert, jungle and the such, I find versatility essential.

So perhaps, having said that, you can understand my frustration that our lightest tank is presently greater than sixty tons & we are a de facto "motorised" army. These are two essential issues which need to be addressed and I expect that good R&D, suggestions from The Forces & innovative leadership will create both useful stop-gaps, such as the MRAP which I think is great in that particular role, & long term solutions.

Council Member

Ratzel,

It is advanced training and qualification that makes MEU units special operations Capable.

Special Operations Training Group trains two Marine Expeditionary Units and the security element from the 31st MEU every year to certify the MEUs as Special Operations Capable. Their courses range from specialized demolitions and close-quarters battle to vehicle assault and assault climbing.

In a recent SOC training schedule:

Objectives the Marines were evaluated on included, but were not limited to, a Noncombatant Evacuation Operation (NEO), a mechanized raid, a boat raid, and an airfield seizure. In addition, SOTG presented on-call challenges, including, but not limited to, Tactical Recoveries of Aircraft and Personnel (TRAP), mass casualty drills, recovery of displaced American citizens, floating mines, and hostile water and aircraft. The Marines performed these missions in only a five-day period.

Though the Marine Corps' other six MEUs re-qualify as SOC every 18 months.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Ratzel, It is advanced training and qualification that makes MEU units special operations Capable.
    So there's no selection, but the unit trains for missions usually thought of as being SO? Can any Marine be sent to one of these units, or is there some sort of selection process?
    "Politics are too important to leave to the politicians"