and noticed that on the first couple of pages, there are a slew of links on the topic. You can also got to your local library and ask them to obtain on an inter-Library loan, copies of FM 17-1 Aug 1957, Armor Operations, Small Units. Or/ and ask for FM 17-15 (1958 I think???), Tank Units, Platoon, company and Battalion. The Knox Library probably has both. If it's still there...
Basically there were no set drills; each unit made up their own and emphasized what they thought was important (horrors!!! No standardization??? ). Since essentially, one can only do so much with a piece of terrain and since initial entry training, Officer and Enlisted was better -- it was an inch wide and a mile deep instead of the reverse as it is now -- everyone was on pretty much the same sheet of music anyway.

The most common favorites were meeting engagements and reaction to ambush because, particularly if you gave the OpFor carte blanche or used opposing force (i.e today 1st plat moves, 2d defends/ambushes (OpFor whatever), 3d spts the tng or does something on their own if no spt needed. Tomorrow, it's 2,3 and 1; then the next day 3,1 and 2.) you could get some really interesting situations. Others were Relief in contact -- always hairy -- and Combat outpost, delaying actions, infiltrating attacks, counter guerrilla hammer and anvil and the ever popular airborne special, breakout from an encirclement.

You told your folks what you thought they needed to know. For example, as a Cav and recon PSG, my law was the lead vehicle taken under fire did not do what the 'doctrine' said; return the fire and develop the situation. His orders were to take retrograde if possible, take cover if not and the next guy was directed to get him extracted while the following squad took the responsibility for developing the situation. Occasionally, someone would see us doing that and ask why we weren't doing it by the book; we'd tell them (including a couple of Division Cdrs) and it was never directed that we change. My sensing is that might not have been true post-1975...

Limited only by the commanders or Platoon Leaders imagination. In good units, anyway. The others did only the stuff in the Army Subject Schedule; sort of an ARTEP precursor which contained the simple stuff I named but not the Relief in contact or infiltrating attacks or anything exotic.