Thread: Assessing Al-Qaeda (merged thread)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Pinker has an article in the Guardian about decline in violence that triggered the following blog post. Tangentially related to this thread

http://brownpundits.blogspot.com/201....html?spref=fb

relevant extract:
    by the way: I think the US has caused state failure in Iraq and contributed to it in Syria (and now has a supporting role in the attempted state failure in Yemen; in Yemen I think the Saudis are the prime movers of the idiocy. There is no reason to accept the Eurocentric Metropolitan Racist view that only White people have agency. The Subaltern may speak )
    Why has the US caused these state failures? I dont think it was deliberate. But I do think it shows you that it is not just the SJWs/Postmarxist academics who don't appreciate how important the state is; even the decision makers of the most powerful state in the world don't seem to get it. Or rather, they don't seem to have sufficient grasp of where the asabiya or legitimacy of a state comes from: it comes from genuine fellow feeling, or it comes from colonial structures that happened to be this way and within which the necessary fellow feeling builds over time. EITHER can work. Both together are even better. But remove both, and the #### will hit the fan...
    Which is also why groups like the Kurds can fight better than any fake army put together by US advisers alone. US advisers PLUS genuine national feeling (Afghanistan, if the US had not allowed us to mess it up) can work though
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 09-12-2015 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Cited text in quotes