Quote Originally Posted by Norfolk View Post
But I would encourage greater consideration of your Section proposal of 4x5-man Teams, indeed I would go so far as to join jcustis in his consideration of James Webb's proposal for a 19-man Squad of 3x6-man Fire Teams; I think that your proposal is comparable. There may be a way of sidestepping the one-Team/two-Team Squad/Section controversy here by differentiating between the Squad and the Section (the former being sub-unit subordinate to the latter), and organizing the latter out of a few easily controlled Squads, so long as such a Section organization is not intended to supplant the Platoon.
OK, so we go for a squad of 4 x 5 man fireteams - 20 men, so a Platoon is 60 or 80 men? - So why not have 6 x 5 man teams, 4 under the control the Platoon Commander and 2 under the platoon Sergeant?

This is where squad based arguments unravel, because everyone is asking the wrong question. Instead I suggest,

a.) How do I best organised 100 men (arbitrary number, but one chosen as a function of limited resources) for combat operations?

b.) Once organised, how do we best equip them to fulfil a wide range of missions and within manning and equipment budgets?