Thread: "MoveOn" to 5GW?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

JeffC wrote:

"Did you check into who the authors are? I find that's usually a good starting point. Personally, I find Dan tdaxp a little creepy to read. And there's no profile that I can find at his blog, which is never a good sign. "
    Jeff,

There's nothing creepy about Dan, he's a good guy - and I know him personally. He's bright with multiple advanced degrees in different fields. Dan has/had a need for a time before he was accepted into a doctoral program to be a little obscure about who he was online. Not an uncommon practice for academics or aspiring academics given that we live in the age of Google and that hiring and departmental committees usually include a couple of vindictive wack jobs. He's not alone in that; presumably "JeffC" is neither your full Christian name nor your c.v.

About the worst that can be said of Dan is that, at times, he posts things simply to get a rise out of ppl and keeps yanking their chain past the point where he should fess up that he wasn't being entirely serious.

Quote Originally Posted by zenpundit View Post
    About the worst that can be said of Dan is that, at times, he posts things simply to get a rise out of ppl and keeps yanking their chain past the point where he should fess up that he wasn't being entirely serious.
    Who would do something like that? And, don't forget I owe you that cup of coffee.
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

Default On the topic of "take it for granite"...

I had to add...

Years ago, at 17, I believed the expression to be, "It's a doggy dog world"...my girlfriend at the time had to correct me...

The "take it for granite" comment had me howling with laughter if only because my kids have proved to me that how you hear/understand it is how you spout it....

Cheers -
    D

Banned

[QUOTE=zenpundit;36759]JeffC wrote:

Jeff,

There's nothing creepy about Dan, he's a good guy - and I know him personally. He's bright with multiple advanced degrees in different fields. Dan has/had a need for a time before he was accepted into a doctoral program to be a little obscure about who he was online. Not an uncommon practice for academics or aspiring academics given that we live in the age of Google and that hiring and departmental committees usually include a couple of vindictive wack jobs. He's not alone in that; presumably "JeffC" is neither your full Christian name nor your c.v.

I didn't call Dan creepy. I don't know him well enough to say. What I said was that his writing has a creepy feel to it. Clearly, YMMV. Regarding JeffC, that's just a shorthand version of my name, Jeff Carr, which is easily discovered at my blog, the link to which is in my profile.

[QUOTE=JeffC;36793]
    JeffC wrote:

Jeff,

I didn't call Dan creepy. I don't know him well enough to say. What I said was that his writing has a creepy feel to it. Clearly, YMMV. Regarding JeffC, that's just a shorthand version of my name, Jeff Carr, which is easily discovered at my blog, the link to which is in my profile.
    YMMV?? This is like trying to watch my teenage daughters text message.

Banned

[QUOTE=SteveMetz;36795]
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffC View Post

YMMV?? This is like trying to watch my teenage daughters text message.
    YMMV = "Your Milleage May Vary"

Default I didn't understand the acronym either -LOL!

Hi Jeff

Well-focused blog on your part. Nice.

Aesthetic opinions are usually a matter of taste and I'll leave it to that.

Default Hey Selil

Coffee would be good; You mentioned that you were north of me - near or far ?

Coffee would be good; You mentioned that you were north of me - near or far ?
    I'm at Purdue Calumet in Hammond, Live about 20 miles east.
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.