at a Latin America Symposium we did last year at the U of OK. My colleague, retired Ambassador Ed Corr, and I were totally underwhelmed. She played fast and loose with facts which misinformed her already questionable analysis.

When this post came up, I started to read the referenced article, and mentally noted that this was where I had come in. Still, I was intrigued so I looked her up trying to get a good bio. Unfortunately, none of the bios I Googled were able to suggest what, if any, formal jounalism training she had. Indeed, none of them were able to enlighten me regarding anything about her formal education. I now know she was a teen aged mall rat, interested in clothes. I know about her family background in radical politics. But I still know nothing about her schooling. I assume that she graduated from high school in Montreal but there is no such indication in her bios. Did she ever attend university (as they say in Canada)? Dunno. Although a college education is hardly necessary for "greatness" (witness Harry Truman and Barry Goldwater), it does provide some basic education in rigorous analysis and the proper use of facts.

Do any of our Canadians know any more about her/this? What say you Marc, Rex, et. al.?

Happy New Year!

JohnT