Thread: Klein's Shock Doctrine

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cool Klein's Shock Doctrine

Ran across this: http://www.povertyinitiative.org/res...Capitalism.pdf
    on John Robb's Global Guerrillas Blog ( http://globalguerrillas.typepad.com/ )

It resonates....
    Sapere Aude

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

OK, I'll read it, but it was written by Naomi Klein, - No Logo- therefore I am really going to struggle to take it seriously. She has always struck me that she writes to promote herself, and thus writes to impress, not to inform.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Read part of this during some downtime on the train from D.C. Not impressed - neocon-style single-issue demonization from a New Left perspective, in this case the "Washington consensus" neoliberal economic policies emphasized during the Clinton years. While I agree with some of the damage assessment, Klein goes way too far along the way. Like Robert Kaplan, she has done some decent globetrotting but generally sees only what she wants to see.

Reading the opening paragraphs, I was struck by a similarity to Edgar Allan Poe's story, "The Masque of the Red Death." Extrapolate from that comment anyway you choose. But, please remember that Poe wrote fiction.

Council Member

Default I met Klein

at a Latin America Symposium we did last year at the U of OK. My colleague, retired Ambassador Ed Corr, and I were totally underwhelmed. She played fast and loose with facts which misinformed her already questionable analysis.

When this post came up, I started to read the referenced article, and mentally noted that this was where I had come in. Still, I was intrigued so I looked her up trying to get a good bio. Unfortunately, none of the bios I Googled were able to suggest what, if any, formal jounalism training she had. Indeed, none of them were able to enlighten me regarding anything about her formal education. I now know she was a teen aged mall rat, interested in clothes. I know about her family background in radical politics. But I still know nothing about her schooling. I assume that she graduated from high school in Montreal but there is no such indication in her bios. Did she ever attend university (as they say in Canada)? Dunno. Although a college education is hardly necessary for "greatness" (witness Harry Truman and Barry Goldwater), it does provide some basic education in rigorous analysis and the proper use of facts.

Do any of our Canadians know any more about her/this? What say you Marc, Rex, et. al.?

Happy New Year!

JohnT

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by John T. Fishel View Post
    Do any of our Canadians know any more about her/this? What say you Marc, Rex, et. al.?
    There's a fairly informative bio here.