Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
"... However, I also believe that improvements in communications, situational awareness, individual and vehicular armor could change that. In other words, both Ken and Wilf are right...given today's conditions. But change those conditions and optimum solutions change.
No question that conditional changes can adjust the size of the span and are likely to do so. Whether that adjustment is downward or upward remains to be seen. I think the human mind and not any degree of situational awareness is going to be the ultimate arbiter.
After all, initiative, for instance, is not in and of itself a good thing...
We can disagree on that
... It is a good thing today because of the current state of communications and the complexity of the tasks we face. We want NCOs with initiative who can act within the spirit of issued orders to accomplish a stated goal. But NCOs two hundred years ago were most valued who displayed a brutal willingness to follow orders, set a good example, and enforce discipline. Initiative - at least in the tactical sense - was neither valued nor particularly desired. This was not because leaders back then were stupid, its because the conditions were different.
I suggest that innovative leaders of 200 years ago did prize initiative on the part of their subordinates. From Gustavus Adolphus through De Saxe to Sir Henry Clinton and Sir John Moore they not only fostered initiative, they changed warfare.
So, if you are looking for a theoretical approach to optimizing span of control and/or organizational size, you have to free yourself from the prejudices of the moment...
Good advice, though I suggest that the theory is not nearly as important as the practice and one should exercise care to avoid introducing replacement prejudices.
... Especially if, as most futurists predict, our ability to self-synchronize operations will improve in the near future.
If the Futurists are correct in this instance, that will be a pleasant change from their past performance but I believe that such self synchronization if it (a) appears and (b) is allowed will call for more, not less initiative while significantly reducing any 'benefit' from over control.