Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Face" among the Arabs

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman
    A little off topic but somewhat related: have any cops here ever had an Arab suspect in the interview/interrogation room? How did it go? Did you use a confrontational method like Reid?

Just curious. I haven't run into this yet but someday I might.
    If you have an AKO log-in, I recommend a read of the paper I linked a while back in another thread. If not, well, my review of the pub may address part of your question.

Just to be clear, the Reid technique is not what I would call confrontational. With its focus on the concept of themes it is meant to develop a certain type of rapport with the source and draw them into filling out the rest of the story. If the interrogation truly becomes confrontational, then you've moved away from the fundamental tenets of the Reid technique. Although there are some useful aspects to the Reid approach, as I've stated before, at its most basic, it is essentially a longer narrative version of a leading question. And for those who haven't experience with interrogation, a leading question - in any form - contaminates the source narrative and can have a significant negative effect upon the validity of information obtained from that point forward.
    Last edited by Jedburgh; 01-05-2008 at 12:21 PM.

Default I Love This Thread

What a thread....Knives in the back......Free Pots to Pe......in......and the Reid Technique all on one thread. It just don't get no better than that

Ken I will be looking for the Fex Man. And if Marct canceled the order I will be calling my friends in the RCMP to prosecute this hate crime

AHHHH Good Morning from the worlds greatest disc jockey Super Duper Soul from Radio KOW....aka.. Kowalski.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4VEuoveR8A

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jedburgh View Post
    Just to be clear, the Reid technique is not what I would call confrontational. With its focus on the concept of themes it is meant to develop a certain type of rapport with the source and draw them into filling out the rest of the story.
    Understood: I probably should have said accusatory instead of confrontational. I didn't mean to say that Reid was like the bad cop half of good cop/bad cop.

I should state that I haven't had Reid directly from Reid & Associates, Inc. I've had elements of Reid from Wicklander-Zulawski & Associates, Inc. The two firms may be slightly different in their approach to the accusatory technique.
    "Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper