Thread: Foreign Affairs and the Presidential Candidates

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

That would be absolutely kickass.

Seriously, it would be. Which is why it will never ever happen.

Council Member

The Insider Brief, 6 Jan 08: Obama Requests to Meet Pakistani Officials
    Sources are indicating that Senator Barack Obama has requested to meet with Pakistani officials to discuss (read: learn about) the political situation in Pakistan and specifically, all matters pertaining to the Bhutto assassination.

Obama has taken some rather hardline stances in the past when it has come to Pakistan. He’s stated in the past that:

- The US should unilaterally send troops into Pakistan if there is actionable intelligence re: high value terrorist targets. (He later revisited this statement.)

- US Vice President, Dick Cheney, who currently manages US policy towards Pakistan, should visit Pakistan and ask President Musharraf to step down.

- Pakistan has many problems — including an anti-democratic president and an Islamist extremist movement that operates freely between Afghanistan and Pakistan.

Without having made substantive statements with regard to Pakistan since his botched comment over invading Pakistan (see above), it’s clear that Obama doesn’t have a detailed Pakistan policy the way Senator Joe Biden did. In fact, now that Sen. Biden has quit his election bid for president, there are few, if any remaining candidates, with legitimate Pakistan related policies.....

Council Member

Here's my rough score-card on the candidates 2007 plans on expanding Army and Marine Corps end strength.

1. John McCain: ~900,000 (+150,000 from FY 2007 Defense Authorization)
    2. Mike Huckabee: ~750,000 (0)
    3. Mitt Romney: ~758,000 (+8,000)
    4. Rudy Giuliani: ~640,000 to 780,000 (-160,000 to +30,000, was unclear whether this was over actual end strength or authorized)
    5. Barack Obama: ~750,000 (0)
    6. Hilary Clinton: (didn't commit to numbers in her FA article, but did vote for FY 2007 DA)
    7. John Edwards: (unknown, but rejected the 92,000 increase in end strength)
    Last edited by Presley Cannady; 01-09-2008 at 03:22 PM.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Penta View Post
    That would be absolutely kickass.

Seriously, it would be. Which is why it will never ever happen.
    Why not McCain/Biden (prior to his taking up the party line.)

Personally, I don't trust Obama for ten seconds and I find him obnoxious. I also find it amazing how he speechifies fo 40 minutes, says nothing (no content) and no one notices. (no offense intended)

Here are few McCain combinations that would be intersting:
    McCain/D'amato (talk about abbrasive) {being from NY I was hoping one day we would get a D'amatto/Koch or Koch/D'amatto ticket. 2 tough New Yorkers. LOL!}
    McCain/Haig (this ones just for fun )
    McCain/Lieberman (please G-d, NO!)

Note: The Following is a rant!

This race depresses me. The only real conservative (sort of) (Thompson) has been moving towards the right in order to be more popular. Conservatism is now something completely alien from the conservativism we had with Goldwater, Nixon, etc. (not that I am saying they apidimized the concept, but they came very close) I am always reminded of what Goldwater said to Bob Dole in 1996, "We're the new liberals of the Republican Party. Can you imagine that?"

Adam L
    Last edited by Adam L; 01-10-2008 at 06:16 AM. Reason: typo

Council Member

Because Biden plagiarizes speeches wholesale.

Meanwhile...Thing is, I'm hardly a conservative. Or a liberal. I am a deeply determined centrist.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Penta View Post
    Because Biden plagiarizes speeches wholesale.

Meanwhile...Thing is, I'm hardly a conservative. Or a liberal. I am a deeply determined centrist.
    You have a point about the speaches.

I don't consider myself conservative or a liberal. I don't fit anywhere on the spectrum. I just want to know where center is these days. LOL! Are the two sides moving apart at equal rates? If they are different rates, where has center moved to? LOL!

Personally, I hate classifications. (Also, that Phil Ochs would find todays "liberals" to be too far out even for his tastes.) On different issues I lean one way or another but normally for identical reasons that are apolitical. I find it most rritating that everything is a package deal these days.

Adam L