Quote Originally Posted by BushrangerCZ View Post
His finger on the trigger is the mistake, but he really is not shooting to the wall 50cm in front of him, he is just looking over the wall
Easy for one not familiar with weapon mounted optics to miss that, no one familiar with them should...

Agree with JMA on the length of pull. It is important -- try teaching small persons to shoot with an M1 designed for big Americans. Even more fun is to watch a large person shoot an M4 that has a stock that will not extend. Length of pull may be ignored but there will be an accuracy / muscle memory penalty. One can work up various innovations to get around the issue but such 'fixes' always seem to not work when one really needs them.

As an unrelated aside, being ancient and having walked around four Continents and an Island or two with unfriendly, even hostile, lurkers abounding and my finger on the trigger of a loaded weapon not on Safe far more often than not, I do not see that rigid finger outside the trigger guard except to fire as much more than a compensation for inadequate training (or marginally capable persons). Others may differ...

Fingers on triggers worry me far less than does the seeming increase in use of full auto fire and the practice of using the Magazine for a handgrip. For that matter, hand grips in my experience are not counducive to single shot accuracy because the upper edge of the thumb and forefinger aren't as sensitive to cant as the palm and that orientation puts undue strain on the muscles of the forearm as compared to a bottom of the stock hold with the palm of the supporting hand.