Quote Originally Posted by Uboat509 View Post
Arguments about ideal squad size aside, I always liked having two LMGs per squad for the simple fact that it gave me one LMG for each of my maneuver elements. Whichever of them made contact first could lay down the same base of fire while the other moved. It was also nice even if my whole squad was the base of fire for another element. One saw can put down a lot of rounds but two saws talking to each other puts down a impressive amount of fire power and it helps keep the gunners from burning out their barrels. There is an old saying that two is one and one is none. Over the years I have come to wholeheartedly believe that. If I only have one LMG in my squad then when I need it most I will have no LMG in my squad.

SFC W
The binary orgsnization was pioneered by the Italians in WWII, in larger echelons, but for very simalier tactics. They found that the structure and tactic left them predictable and unable to truly "maneuver". Thw Army "base of fire" squad concept suffers the same failings. It makes sense at a glance, but IMHO does not work well.
Reed