Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
The principles are used.
That I suppose should read "The Principles of the Defense should be being used."

However, they are often (too often, I and some say...) modified to adapt to one to three other factors; in no particular order as that order will vary depending upon location, from time to time and from unit to unit, those are:

- Desires (presumed or real) of the next higher commander or (more scarily) one of his staff weenies. This includes those cases where a Grid reference was given, arrival on site showed it to be a poor choice but the base was established where directed anyway rather than a simple call back saying "It's not a good location, I'm moving 850m north..."

- Desired or directed (by someone who likely has not been on the ground but relied upon a map or aerial recon) proximity to a Village or feature.

- Equipment and labor available. That needs a bit explanation to anyone with Commonwealth (or similar) service. Unlike the British and many other Armies, US Troops do not defend well. They never have. Nor do they dig well. We are too lazy. We'd rather build sandbag castles to be RPG targets and hope that doesn't happen. There are many reasons, most a bit flaky in the eyes of some but in sum they mean that the US Army has never done well at defense. It may be noteworthy that most British battles of renown are defensive while almost all US battles of significance are offensive. One would think the US would adapt to that and make USE of known strengths while avoiding known weaknesses. One would think...

That explains most or at least some poor location selections by the US. Can't speak for the UK or others.
Yes, partially. There are obviously poor location selections and then there are poor defensive sitings of the positions on the locations themselves.

My sole point was in contrast with what Wilf appeared to suggest and that was that the standard Principles of Defence are indeed always important in siting a defensive or base location whether at formation level or down to even platoon outposts and temporary bases. I maintain quite simply that the Principles of Defense are universal. I asked if the Principles of Defence don't apply, what does.

Yes it is generally understood that "the US Army has never done well at defense" and that this has not been taken into account in US military planning remains a mystery.

Not sure that all the blame can be moved upwards for what happens on the ground.

Added: Slow typing strikes again, 82redleg beat me with a more concise and good answer. His point on zero successful attack / overuns is important as it contributes to the "It's not worth a whole lot of effort" attitude. His final comment is also correct -- as it always is, in every Army...
But Ken his answer is not relevant in the context of what was being discussed. Where does the measure of a base/outpost being overrun become the yardstick by which it is assessed whether the Principles of the Defence have been adhered to on the construction and development of a base or outpost?

Months ago I raised the issue of the futile construction and occupation of Beau Geste Forts supposedly as a platform from which to launch offensive action against the Taliban (and in so doing deny them freedom of movement).

The history shows that the Taliban through the widespread use of IEDs and small arms harassment turned what was envisaged as platform from which to launch offensive action into nothing more than an isolated (from the community) fort from which ISAF soldiers ventured out at the their peril (from IEDs and ambushes).