Quote Originally Posted by BushrangerCZ View Post
Only difference between SF and infantry in the matter of assault rifles I see in caliber and barrel lenght (SF should have the infantry standard issue rifle, plus the same with shorter barrel and/or different caliber, due to the fact that they have some similar, but some different tasks than infantry, like hostage rescue, VIP protection etc., where .308 caliber, which I suppose to be the best for infantry, would not be the best for the task). Also SF rifle needs details like ability to carry a supressor. But SCAR rifles have all these options, thatīs the reason I see SCAR rifle as the best choice for whole army, even if it was developed for SOF purpose. I see every day in job that everybody and his dog wants to call himself SF (cooks, staff officers, logistic guys are experts on this), but thatīs another story. Reliability, simplicity, accuracy, easy maintenance are the same principles for everybody.
PS: I agree that M4 is not the best rifle, but itīs not bad either. Itīs light and accurate, and if you choose right manufacturer, it is also reasonably reliable. SA80 is heavy, and usable only for right shoulder - or at least it used to be, I am not sure about the newest version. On the other hand, I like the safety selector, and cocking handle is definately better designed than in AR15 family.
Currently shoulder arms for Australian forces are procured on two distinct paths: one primarily for infantry that flows on to most of the armed forces, and a second for special forces.

Most infantry are issued with the 5.56mm F88 AUG bullpup as a carbine (405mm barrel in 690mm overall) or rifle (505 in 790mm), but some have 5.56mm M16A2 forward-mag rifles (505 in 1000mm). Infantry marksmen and the 2nd member of sniper teams are armed with either a heavily telescoped AUG or a 7.62mm SR25 fwd-mag semi-automatic rifle. The SR25 is to be largely succeeded by a recently ordered batch of 7.62mm HK417 fwd-mag semi-auto rifles.

Australian special forces commonly employ the 5.56mm M4 fwd-mag carbine and the 7.62mm SR25 fwd-mag semi-auto rifle, complemented by the close-range 9mm MP5 SMG and 12 gauge Rem870 shotgun. The M4 was/is reportedly favoured - over the sometimes issued AUG - because of its lower weight, ready availability of a SOPMOD kit, and better reliability after immersion due to larger bore gas cylinder. Low weapon weight and ease of portability are highly valued by special forces where personnel often carry a second long barrel weapon and usually an auxiliary sidearm. Hence direct gas action in the M4 and SR25 (and also the sometimes issued M16A2) is accepted despite the affect on serviceability.

The standard flash suppressor on the M4 carbine (370mm barrel in 840mm overall) cannot handle the problem of flash from 5.56mm ammunition developed for common use in carbines and longer barreled weapons. To suppress muzzle flash - especially at night - the long and bulky M4 noise suppressor can be used although it increases length by about 15cm out toward that of a fwd-mag rifle. That is apparently acceptable, and anyway muzzle flash can for some SPECFOR operations be useful to increase shock and intimidation.

Infantry operations are likely to be of much longer duration with a corresponding need for weapon ruggedness and reliability. Also suppression of muzzle flash that otherwise serves as a bullet magnet is a vital and ever-present concern for infantry.

In place of SMGs and shotguns Australian infantry rely on the AUG bullpup carbine plus 40mm single shot attachments. Addtionally, several types of bolt-action and semi-automatic sniper rifles are on issue including the SR98 (AI AW-F), Blaser Tactical 2 and AI AW-50F mostly in 7.62mm, 8.59mm and 12.7mm resp. Typically, each of those sniper rifles has been procured in small quantities and each of the current types have progressed by way of various pathways into common use.

Shifting to the general case, special forces in Australian and all other armed forces have special needs including rapid delivery of small batches of new types of equipment. They may finish up using common equipment but that should never become an objective.

It is necessary that procurement for special forces is - and continues to be - under SPECFOR control and that it be kept separate from (but known to) procurement for infantry and other. There is an ancillary benefit in that rapid procurement for special forces can enable early assessment and trial use by infantry. That applies to armies everywhere and can be especially useful for large armies that have tortuous procurement procedures.