Thread: The Roles and Weapons with the Squad

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwigrunt View Post
    Here is the latest (that I know of) on the IAR. Link retrieved from The Firearm Blog.
    The Marine Corps' Commandant has decided, based on the results of testing and further field evaluation by using units, to recommend ending the limited test and evaluation fielding for the M27 IAR and going straight to full-fielding of rifles to each infantry battalion and its LAR battalions.

The Gunner community is surprisingly very much behind the fielding and employment of the weapon. I'm surprised because the grizzled veterans are typically the most vocal critics of the move to a lightweight automatic rifle as a replacement for the SAW (to be precise, SAWs will remain in a infantry company's T/E for some time to come, in the qty of at least six)

A pair of recent articles from the Marine Corps Gazette have touched on this topic again.

Save the Infantryman's Firepower

and

The M249 Light Machine Gun in the Automatic Rifle Role

My article from the June Gazette is not adrift on the web yet, but I am curious to see the responses. Of note, the Gazette does not present coffee mugs to writers any longer, but instead Quill pens are mailed out. They are a lot more expensive form of compensation than a mug, but the cartridge is blue ink...(wry grin)
    Last edited by jcustis; 06-04-2011 at 06:17 PM.