I think most of us can agree that modern conflict requires a new type of leader. This new leader will need to be able to handle more responsibility, have greater analytical ability, and of course, better cultural understanding.

I left the Army in Dec 2003 after OIF I. Shortly after leaving the Army, I went back to school, and this spring, I expect to graduate with a BA. Despite leaving the Army, I still think a lot about soldering and I've come to the conclusion that I would be a much better soldier today as a result of becoming better educated.

With this mind, I've come to appreciate the benefits of education and have been thinking about ways the Army could benefit from a better educated NCO Corps. I've come with an idea that would not only insert education within the NCO Corps, but would also work as a recruiting/retention tool. I'm going to present this idea here, and together we can decide if this program would work or not. I may later send this idea to Army personnel command.

1. An individual would be recruited to go into an MOS that would benefit most from this program. The key MOS's would be all combat arms, MP's, intelligence, civil affairs, psychological operations, and medical.

2. The soldier would go through basic, AIT and then to a unit preparing to deploy. The soldier would train with the unit and then go on deployment.

3. When the soldier returned from deployment he/she would be enrolled into a university/college back in or closest to his/her hometown. The soldier would be required to major in something useful to the Army. Anthropology, geography, political science, economics, nursing, international business, history, regional studies, international studies, psychology, physical sciences, computer science etc. Obviously the Army wouldn't need theater, English literature, or paleontology majors. While these are fine fields of studies, they're not very useful to the army. Despite what major is chosen the soldier would be required to take at least 3 semesters of a critical language (Arabic, Farsi). The soldier would complete 2 years (60 hrs) without interruption. The soldier would be required to attend monthly drill at the local NG or AR unit in order to take PT tests and rifle qualification. The soldier would not deploy with the NG or AR unit under any circumstances.

4. After the soldier finishes the 60 hrs he/she would return to a unit preparing to deploy (Preferably the same unit). The soldier would deploy with the unit and by this time, would probably be an E-4.

5. When the soldier returned from deployment, he/she would go to school for another 60 hrs and finish the degree.

6. After finishing the degree, the soldier would go to a deploying unit (Preferably the same unit) and do one more combat tour. Before the soldier went on the deployment, he/she would be offered a 6 year enlistment package that offered $40,000 tax free. The soldier would be an E-5 now and most likely a senior team leader or even a squad leader. If the soldier says no, they would complete the deployment and be discharged when returning from it.

-------
Details- While in the program, the soldier would have opportunities during the summer to do a few things. They could make up classes, or they could go to Army schools such as Airborne, Air Assault, PLDC, sniper, maybe even Ranger (The minimum time to go through Ranger school is 64 days which would mean if the soldier started the June class date he would have no room to recycle).

As the soldier goes through the program, they would be required to attend some military science classes at the ROTC. They wouldn't take the same classes as officer cadets though. There would new classes, designed for NCOs, taught by NCOs. The NCO classes would be similar to officer’s classes but would be from an NCO perspective. They would write papers about the NCOs role in the field, or training troops, or anything else NCO related.

By the end of the 3rd deployment, it would be about 8 years. By this time the soldier would be an E6 or near it. The Army would have an experienced, educated, and battle hardened NCO whose skills and knowledge would have a multiplying effect. The soldier could lead classes on culture, language, and even analytical thinking exercises. If the soldier did agree to the 6 year, $40,000 package, he/she would most likely make a career of the Army (After 14 years most people stay in). If the soldier didn't, he/she would be a top candidate for other government work within the national security apparatus.

The program could also be open to soldiers who are in their reenlistment window. However, the program would only be available during the first reenlistment period. A certain ASVAB score would also be required. People who get a 31 on the ASVAB and only have a 79 GT score might not be appropriate. There's no reason why the Marines can't have a similar program.

Possible negative aspects- It is possible that a divide can occur between soldiers in the program and those who aren't. At times, the Army can have an anti-intellectual atmosphere. Soldiers in the program may think they know everything and those not in the program may look at the program soldiers as lacking "street smarts." An E4 studying military science and writing papers on something like- company level MEDEVAC techniques- may be an annoyance on the company 1st Sgt when the soldier tells the 1st Sgt how to do his job. The soldier will have to be taught that he or she does not know everything, and to "stay in his/her lane." For this reason, an argument could be made that the military science aspect of the program might do more harm then good. (We can discuss this)

----------

I strongly believe that education can benefit the NCO Corps of the US Army. The new face of war requires a new type of leader. While the cold war called for increases in physical capital to be successful, the GWOT requires increases in human capital. Economists have called for a more educated work force to man the “knowledge economy.” Today's “knowledge battlefield” is no different. While education is not required to be a good soldier, it will certainly make the good soldier even better. I believe this program can bring some intellectualism into an institution that could use it.

Let us discuss...........