Thread: FM 3-0 (Operations) Roll Out

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Team Infidel View Post
    Not looking forward to the roll out. They have started to change the Information Operations construct from IO to IE... IE being Information Engagement. They want to take some of our toys away. We have been fighting with CAC on this issue, but it falls on deaf ears unfortunately.
    I believe that the construct is changing, but not with the intent of "taking toys away" from IO... Chapter 7 (Information Superiority) received (and continues to receive) the most attention of all of the chapters from all the "stakeholders" and senior leadership. The discussion of Information, as an element of combat power, emphasizes the commander's role in being personally involved in the integration of all of the information tasks:

Because of its pervasive nature, commanders at every level integrate and synchronize the information element of combat power...
    Because the modern operational environment yields such a high and often decisive impact to the side which best leverages information, commanders must provide personal direction and attention to it, fully integrating information into their exercise of battle command. They insure these information tasks are integrated into all operations and that their staffs include them into the operations process from its inception...

There are six information tasks (including Information Engagement) listed in Chapter 7. The six tasks are: Information Engagement; Public Affairs; Command and Control Warfare; Information Protection; Operations Security; and Military Deception.

Of course, regardless of all of the discussions about IO, not everyone is going to be fully happy with the final outcome. Having the commander as the focal point in personally ensuring all of the information tasks are intergrated and synchronized is, in my opinion, a step in the right direction.

Council Member

Default Release of 3-0

I don't believe FM 3-0 will see the same media frenzy that accompanied FM 3-24. I haven't heard much outside military circles about 3-0. However, I can't wait to hear what CADD says about the piece.

Suggestion: Look at the development of FM 100-5 (FM 3-0 predecessor in the old numbering system) since 1976 (and especially through the 1980's with the introduction of AirLand Battle and how it positively impacted on ODS/DS) and compare it to the manual today and ask if it will do the same for the Army as did the 1982 and 1986 versions of 100-5.

Thanks Col. Maxwell for the suggestions regarding looking at the evolution of concepts from the old 100 manuals. I hadn't heard that yet. I have come across complaints regarding the IO section.

One of the problems will be with Chpt 7 is that it will not synch with FM 3-13. It also doesn't allow us to be full spectrum IO Planners as previously taught. In fact, during the FA30 course, they teach both.

Just learned that Chpt 7 changed again this past week. A new drag is being sent to me today.

The Army will release FM 3-0 on 27 Feb at the Winter AUSA meeting.