Thread: FM 3-0 (Operations) Roll Out

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default Fm 3-0

I'm working on a news story about the new FM's creation. When it is published, I'll post a link to it.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Menning View Post
    I'm working on a news story about the new FM's creation. When it is published, I'll post a link to it.
    Do you imagine that it will receive the same level of attention as FM 3-24 did when it was released?

Quote Originally Posted by Menning View Post
    Suggestion: Look at the development of FM 100-5 (FM 3-0 predecessor in the old numbering system) since 1976 (and especially through the 1980's with the introduction of AirLand Battle and how it positively impacted on ODS/DS) and compare it to the manual today and ask if it will do the same for the Army as did the 1982 and 1986 versions of 100-5.
    David S. Maxwell
    "Irregular warfare is far more intellectual than a bayonet charge." T.E. Lawrence

Default FM 3-0 Development

Quote Originally Posted by max161 View Post
    Suggestion: Look at the development of FM 100-5 (FM 3-0 predecessor in the old numbering system) since 1976 (and especially through the 1980's with the introduction of AirLand Battle and how it positively impacted on ODS/DS) and compare it to the manual today and ask if it will do the same for the Army as did the 1982 and 1986 versions of 100-5.
    From the FM 3-0 overview briefing:

This version of Field Manual 3-0 represents the 15th edition of the Army’s capstone operations manual, a special commitment to America’s national security that traces its lineage to the first doctrine crafted for our forces, Baron von Steuben’s 1779 Regulations for the Order and Discipline of the Troops of the United States. In 1905, Secretary of War Elihu Root published the Army’s first set of Field Service Regulations, institutionalizing the American way of war at a time in our history when the United States first expanded her influence beyond the borders of our nation. Those same field service regulations led our forces to the shores of France in 1918, and turned the tide of battle at a time when the entire world held it’s collective breath. They changed with America’s new role following the First World War, adapting to a remarkable new world order, and again in 1939 when new threats rose to challenge that order.

Under the guiding hand of Army Chief of Staff George Catlett Marshall, the Army’s capstone warfighting manual was revised three times during World War II, operationalizing the experiences and lessons drawn from the fields of battle in North Africa, Europe, and the Pacific Islands. It evolved again as a nuclear-capable Soviet Union raised the Iron Curtain between East and West. It captured the hard-earned lessons of conflict in Korea and Vietnam, and served as the seminal expression of American combat power during the fall of the Berlin Wall and the reshaping of world order reflected in the collapse of the Soviet Union. It carried American forces to victory in Panama in 1989 and again in Iraq in 1991. It evolved as the world entered a new era of peace operations, yet remained prescient enough to guide U.S. ground forces to decisive victory in the Thunder Run to Baghdad in 2003.
    And, from the draft introduction:
    This edition of FM 3-0 reflects Army thinking in a complex period of prolonged conflicts and opportunities. The doctrine recognizes that current conflicts defy solution by military means alone and that landpower, while critical, is only part of each campaign. Success in future conflicts will require the protracted application of all the instruments of national power—diplomatic, informational, military, and economic. Because of this, Army doctrine now gives equal importance to tasks dealing with the population—stability or civil support—as to those related to offensive and defensive operations. This parity is critical; it recognizes that 21st Century conflict involves more than combat between armed opponents. While defeating the enemy with offensive and defensive operations, Army forces simultaneously shape the broader situation through nonlethal actions to restore security and normalcy to the local populace.

Default I have Chpt 7, FM 3-0 Information Superiority

I have it uploaded to AKO. Not sure how to have all you AKO/DKO users view it.