Thread: Tommy Franks' $100K Signature

Default Tommy Franks' $100K Signature

ABC News - Gen. Tommy Franks Paid $100,000 To Endorse 'F' Veterans Charity.

Retired U.S. Army Gen. Tommy Franks, who led the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq, was paid $100,000 to endorse a veterans charity that watchdog groups say is ripping off donors and wounded veterans by using only a small portion of the money raised for veterans services, according to testimony in Congress today...
    More, but down a stiff drink before reading on...

Default Coincidentally, got a mailing from them today.

Read it; my nose twitched and I trashed it. I will now go get a refill to toast my instinct...

Thanks for posting that.

Council Member

The House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform held two hearings on the subject - because Chapin didn't show up to the first.

If anyone's interested in the transcripts, they're available for each hearing:

Hearing to Assess Veteran's Charities, 13 Dec 07

Individual transcripts available for the following:
    - Ed Edmundson, Father of a wounded veteran
    - Bonnie Carroll, Executive Director, Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors
    - Tracy L. McCurdy, Director, Pennsylvania Bureau of Charitable Organizations
    - Daniel Borochoff, President, American Institute of Philanthropy
    - Bennett Weiner, Chief Operating Officer, Better Business Bureau
    - Robert M. Friend, President, American Veterans Coalition
    - Pamela L. Seman, Executive Director, Disabled Veterans Association

Investigation into Veterans' Charities Continues, 17 Jan 08

Individual transcripts available for the following:
    - Roger Chapin, President, Help Hospitalized Veterans, Inc. and Coalition to Support America’s Heroes Foundation
    - Richard Viguerie, President, American Target Advertising
    - Geoff Peters, President, Creative Direct Response
    - Belinda J. Johns, Senior Assistant Attorney General, California Attorney General’s Office

Council Member

Thumbs down Got one from them too

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    Read it; my nose twitched and I trashed it. I will now go get a refill to toast my instinct...

Thanks for posting that.
    This year for Christmas, the wifey decided with her best friend in Boston that instead of exchanging gifts, each couple would make charity donations in the other's name. We decided on veterans' charity. So she brought in the flyer for the Help Hospitalized Veterans charity, which was a big one compared to most and said "I guess this looks good." First glance and there was this big "official seal of Brig. General "Chip" Diehl, blah blah" that looked anything but official - more like the sort of thing you see a used car dealership adorning its Veterans' Day Sales ads. Oh good grief. I told her about AER, and that's where we donated to. The next day an e-mail goes around the office with the charity ratings, and there I see Help Hospitalized Veterans with a big F. Not surprising, but so sad and heartbreaking.

It makes me wonder, did Chapin set out to knowingly defraud people seeking to help our wounded soldiers, chuckling "suckers" to himself the whole time, or did he believe his own bull#### the whole time, that despite keeping the lion's share to himself he was helping people out?

The other thing that boggles - $100,000 for a signature. I sign stuff all the time, for free. Granted I'm no general, but how can someone come to a point in their life - especially spending their whole life in the military - where they can say to themselves... "yeah, my John Hancock - a bargain at $100k."
    He cloaked himself in a veil of impenetrable terminology.

Default Sick

As father of a warrior, blogger for the grunt, and champion of the little man, all I can say is this. I think I am going to be sick. My God. What happens to people?
    Last edited by Danny; 01-18-2008 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Question mark missing

Default The news isn't all bad ...

"He ended his support for the CSAH in late 2005 when he learned that the percent of money raised that was going to the troops was less than 85 percent, a figure which was then and remains today his critertia for supporting charitable organizations."

Still - $100,000?
    John Wolfsberger, Jr.

An unruffled person with some useful skills.

Just reinforces my own less than favorable opinion of Franks. What scares me is that we have cadets here who read his "look at me" 'book' and consider him some sort of role model.
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

Default That...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Blair View Post
    ...What scares me is that we have cadets here who read his "look at me" 'book' and consider him some sort of role model.
    IS scary.......

They just need to read Cobra II... it'd probably fix their opinion real quick if news like this hasn't already.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post
    They just need to read Cobra II... it'd probably fix their opinion real quick if news like this hasn't already.
    Or Fiasco. Especially the subsection entitled "Franks Flunks Strategy."

Default What?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMetz View Post
    Or Fiasco. Especially the subsection entitled "Franks Flunks Strategy."
    You mean cave clearing in AF is not strategy?