I see militia as disaster response and "Homeland Security" only. Not as Reserves. They should never go overseas, except as the first stage of a draft.

The "Militia" article describes their strong points, which are those of a Police reserve force more than Army Reserve. Also, the Disaster response aspect should not overlooked. In a 4GW era we'll likely have man-made disasters.

What many of your are reaching for, I think, is a sense of how the pieces (army, militia, mercs, etc) fit together to acomplish our national goals.

That is, you would like to see the full chaim from a Grand Strategy down to the operational art. Barnett and "Pax America" advocates have such a vision. Neither the "Revolution in Military Affairs" or 4th Generation War" communities have it.

Without such a plan it is not possible to sensibly talk about force details and doctrine. I realized that after writing "Militia." Rather, the critiques forced me to start again at a higher level.

Here is part one of this long chain ...

"The Myth of Grand Strategy"
Part one in a three-part analysis of grand strategy in a new Era of warfare
http://www.d-n-i.net/fcs/fabius_myth...d_strategy.htm

The next two articles will be even more controversial.

Part II explains how in times of great change it is difficult to determine who is strong, who is weak. This is easy to see in the RMA at the close of the Middle Ages. The author uses Israel vs. Palestinians as a current example. By the important metrics in an era when the State is declining, Israel is weak. The Palestinians are strong, and seem likely to win. A horrible outcome, another historical tragedy.

Part III considers the US, describing how the US is weak in several vital dimensions. From this the author develops an appropriate strategy -- defensive, so we can conserve our strength and rebuild while we adapt to this new era.

After this series, the next series will describe the force structure suitable to implement my proposed Grand Strategy. Why and how to use a militia? Why not to use mercs. And a proposal for an American Foreign Legion.

Apologies for the length of this post. I hope it is relevant to this discussion.