Thread: All-Mercenary service?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default All-Mercenary service?

There was a time where I would have laughed at the thought of privitizing the military but of late I have started to reconsider. What do you think?
    Should we open wars to "bids" and deliver the war to whoever has the best bang for the buck?
    Mark
    Discuss at: The Irregulars Visit at: UW Review
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." - G. K. Chesterton

Banned

Col. Chet Richards introduces this arguement in his new book Neither Shall the Sword.

Quote Originally Posted by GorTex6
    Col. Chet Richards introduces this arguement in his new book Neither Shall the Sword.
    It is an idea that has surfaced from time to time. Chet's book is on my to-read list. His previous book, _Swift Elusive Sword_, was quite good too. His OODA applied to business book is also quite good. He is a smart gentleman and I would highly recommend anything coming from his pen.
    Mark
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." - G. K. Chesterton

Banned

Someone should use this Creveldian/PMC plot in a sci-fi novel. The ideas will spread like wildfire.
    Last edited by GorTex6; 01-31-2006 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GorTex6
    Someone should use this Creveldian/PMC plot in a sci-fi novel. The ideas will spread like wildfire.
    Yes, I had thought the same thing some time ago - before I knew Chet was writing his book actually. I wish there was more time in the day and that I had more talent to deliver the idea.
    Mark

It seems that an all mercenary service is the wave of the future, but by doing so states will risk lose what legitimacy they have left. A state that relies on a corps of mercenaries will have given up it monopoly on violence. The state also runs the risk of creating a powerful enemy by empowering mercenaries.