Thread: Suggestions for Small Wars Essay Contest?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post
    why not ask for paper that Usefully inform practitioners as to the conduct and understanding of modern conflict.

I am becoming more and more convinced, (by reading these forums) that trying to keep COIN in some box that is distinct from wider aspects of conflict is utterly counter-productive and even delusional. War is war. Conflict is conflict. Trying to create discrete groups of conflict does not help - witness the mess that gets made of it.
    Well said, I know exactly what you mean. In the past few years, I have found in almost every area I have studied this almost irrepressible movement to categorize and separate issues to death. In theory, everything can be separated, analyzed and turned black and white. In reality everything is one big greyish area. To try to "keep COIN in some box that is distinct from wider aspects of conflict" (William F Owen) is akin to not allowing surgeons to consult non-surgical specialties.

Adam L

Council Member

---The Irony of "Small" Wars: They're Not Just for the Military to Execute
    ---Are Small Wars Any More "Political" Than Conventional Wars?
    ---AS/D SOLIC: The Case for a Similar Arm within Each Governmental Department
    ---Who Rightfully Defines the Term, "Small War," and Is There Really Such A Thing As a "Small War"?
    ---If Small Wars Are So "Small," Then Why Do Great Powers Struggle With Their Execution?

1-SBW theory (Slapout Based Warfare) VS: Small Wars Theory

2-History of Law Enforcement influcene COIN TTP's.

3-Small Wars on $5.00 a day or less.

4-Economic Targets as The Key to Winning Small Wars.

5- How The Police Would Fight And Win Small Wars.

Default I agree with Wilf,

"I am becoming more and more convinced, (by reading these forums) that trying to keep COIN in some box that is distinct from wider aspects of conflict is utterly counter-productive and even delusional. War is war. Conflict is conflict. Trying to create discrete groups of conflict does not help - witness the mess that gets made of it."
    and I think Bodhi summed up the question fairly well:
    "--Who Rightfully Defines the Term, "Small War," and Is There Really Such A Thing As a "Small War"?"
    so I'll second the motion on that question.

I think Slapout has a valid point on costs (of all sorts) with his number 3 topic:
    "3-Small Wars on $5.00 a day or less."
    and second it.

Also suggest:

-- Improving Officer and Enlisted accession training to better prepare for future threats.

And, channeling Steve Metz:

-- Will the American body politic support small wars that can be lengthy?

For JJackson, who above suggests:
    "JJ --Rednecks, should they be trusted with guns - discuss?"
    That also is a good suggestion, seriously -- as it implies we Americans are not to be trusted with dangerous toys, a valid question.

While I'm sure many in the world would agree, I'm equally sure many more would not and would rather we, with all our faults, have them than some others. In any event, to reassure him, I can attest that this heir to all the Scotch Irish Presbyterian genetic flaws has six firearms in the house; that all three of my sons have about the same on average and none of us thus far have killed or wounded anyone we weren't supposed to; therefor he can sleep soundly. Unless he suffers a home invasion -- a phenomena which for some really strange reason seems to be a great deal more prevalent in his locale than it does in mine...

So, these four for consideration:

-- Who Rightfully Defines the Term, "Small War," and Is There Really Such A Thing As a "Small War?" (Seconded, from Bodhi)

-- Small Wars on $5.00 a day or less. (Seconded, from Slapout)

-- Improving Officer and Enlisted accession training to better prepare for future threats.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    I'll second that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    And, channeling Steve Metz:

I think this is a little too narrow and already answered (possibly.) How about expanding it to include possible methods to employ in order to increase understanding of small wars. Perhaps an essay about the best methods to depoliticize the discussion an analyis of Small Wars. Basically an essay about how to improve Small Wars PR.

Adam L