Thread: Suggestions for Small Wars Essay Contest?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by Cavguy View Post
    8) Tactical Unit organization for COIN (dovetail role/mission of squad thread)
    Damn! Just sent that article to Infantry Magazine at Ft Benning!
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Default My questions

From a non-military armchair:

1) What does my formation (specify below battallion) gain from fighting a Small War?
    2) Small Wars: 'Fighting to learn' in pre-deployment training -v- 'Learning to fight' from experience in the field? Discuss.
    3) If intelligence is the 'key' why is it in so many silos?
    4) I'll tell you what I need to fight a (tactical level) Small War - bottom up!
    5) A 'light touch' approach to COIN wins (historical examples), so how did we end up with "acronym soup" and B1 / B52 support? (Sheer prejudice that).

davidbfpo

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by davidbfpo View Post
    From a non-military armchair:

1) What does my formation (specify below battallion) gain from fighting a Small War?
    2) Small Wars: 'Fighting to learn' in pre-deployment training -v- 'Learning to fight' from experience in the field? Discuss.
    3) If intelligence is the 'key' why is it in so many silos?
    4) I'll tell you what I need to fight a (tactical level) Small War - bottom up!
    5) A 'light touch' approach to COIN wins (historical examples), so how did we end up with "acronym soup" and B1 / B52 support? (Sheer prejudice that).
    For a non-military armchair, that's a pretty good understanding of the issues. Must be some chair you've got there!
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Default Some others...

The Role of Non-State Actors in Small Wars/COIN.

Preventing Big Wars from transitioning to Small Wars/Insurgencies.

The State Department Role in Small Wars/COIN.

Failed and Fragile States and Small Wars/Insurgencies.

Small Wars/Insurgencies and WMD.

Impact of Small Wars/Insurgencies on Neighboring Nations.
    "What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women."