Thread: Looking for texts on principles of research methods

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Looking for texts on principles of research methods

I'm going to start delving deeper into research on a pet subject of mine, and really need to start referring to material that discusses prudent research methods in vogue today.

Most online degree programs offer a starter course on research methods, and I'd be obliged for pointers towards links or .pdfs that discuss the subject.

I've got an Elements of Style book handy, but if there are any tid bits regarding historical research citations, those would be appreciated as well.

My goals at ehis point are to produce an online article for the militaryhistoryonline.com page, and hopefully something with more substance (on the same subject) from there.

Council Member

I have a few good suggestions, I just don't have time at this second. I'll get back to you a little later or tomorrow.

Adam L

Default Research Methods

Jcustis,

There are probably more current versions around but I use the MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers (ISBN 0-87352-379-2) and Handbook of Technical Writing (ISBN 0-312-13289-1).

The librarian at your college will be able to walk you through pulling papers and other references off of their server in pdf or html form...it sure beats the old days of rummaging through the file cards and wandering through the stacks.

Steve
    Sapere Aude

Default Links for writing

Here's a great little link to help with college writing:

http://nutsandbolts.washcoll.edu/nb-home.html

For research methodology, I find this useful:

http://www2.chass.ncsu.edu/garson/pa765/statnote.htm

Council Member

As Surferbeetle said there is MLA, but there is also APA. To decide which to use, take a look at citations in an article in a similar field.

Here are two good sites to start with.

Here (This is MLA)
    Here (This is APA)

They're simple but a good start, Also, try this site here.

I have to say that you shouldn't worry about whether something is in vogue today. Research is research, and it has always been such. Maybe some citations methods have changed, but the fundamentals haven't changed. I must ask what you meant by "prudent research methods."
    I don't understand what you mean there.

Adam L

I must have been really off base. I looked at the original post and thought it might be about epistemology. I'm reading a book my Michael Ally "The Craft of Scientific Writing 3rd Ed." in about a week (32 books to read in the next 16 weeks). It's available via Amazon.
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam L View Post

I have to say that you shouldn't worry about whether something is in vogue today. Research is research, and it has always been such. Maybe some citations methods have changed, but the fundamentals haven't changed. I must ask what you meant by "prudent research methods."
    I don't understand what you mean there.

Adam L
    Put another way, my work has been all over the map. I have notes jumbled up in the margins of books, several dog-eared printouts from lord-knows-where, and a terrible catalogue (a sloppy excel sporeadsheet) of actions taken so far.

I'm trying to clean it all up, streamline the process so I am not wasting effort and can in turn actually write better, and want to do a better job of capturing the footstomps in the material.

Good links and references so far.

Try these. They're the assigned texts for my dissertation classes (and they're not bad):

Trochim, W (2001) Research Methods Knowledge Base Atomicdogpublishing.com ISBN: 1931442487

Zikmund, W (2002) Business Research Methods South-Western ISBN: 0030350840

-LC