Thread: Hand-to-hand in combat

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Most infantry units in Viet Nam

had at least minor hand to hand tussles on occasion. It's rarely the big pitched battle ala the movies, just a minor scuffle here and there. Some guys may have put in a couple of tours and never have seen an incidence of it while another guy might have personally been in three or four scuffles. Occasionally it got up to a whole platoon, less often to a company but it happened.

There were even more on a per capita basis in Korea, a whole lot more. Mostly in the early days due to the Chinese tactic of infiltrating and swarming (with PpSh 41 / 43s they didn't have a lot of choice).

Wilf needs to recall Bill Speakman's VC. And the Gloucesters...

Later, after the static battle developed, it was a battle of back and forth attacks on fortified positions, trenches breed hand to hand.

Goes with the territory.

Council Member

Once again, this is amazing history guys. I've started to pile through a lot of the recommended literature, but I should ask again. Does anyone know of any quantitative discussion of the role of hand-to-hand in the age of firearms? Btw, Ken and Norfolk, I'd greatly appreciate any further directions you might have for digging up the Chinese H2H experience in World War II and Korea.
    PH Cannady
    Correlate Systems

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Presley Cannady View Post
    Once again, this is amazing history guys. I've started to pile through a lot of the recommended literature, but I should ask again. Does anyone know of any quantitative discussion of the role of hand-to-hand in the age of firearms? Btw, Ken and Norfolk, I'd greatly appreciate any further directions you might have for digging up the Chinese H2H experience in World War II and Korea.
    Presley, the references that were given for Fairbairn and Sykes (and O' Neil as well) are a great place to start, given that both learned their craft in the Shanghai Municipal Police - and of course Applegate partnered with Fairbairn. These will give a sense of what Chinese H2H is about.

The official system of H2H in China is called Sanda (for a while it was called Sanshou); it is a simplified form of Zhongguo wushu, dispensing with the ritual and art typical of most other styles of "Kung-Fu" in favour of concentration on H2H. It is the standard H2H system of both the PLA and the ROC Armed Forces.

For finding out about Chinese H2H experience in WWII and Korea, you'll probably need to learn Chinese.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Norfolk View Post
    Presley, the references that were given for Fairbairn and Sykes (and O' Neil as well) are a great place to start, given that both learned their craft in the Shanghai Municipal Police - and of course Applegate partnered with Fairbairn. These will give a sense of what Chinese H2H is about.
    Yes, I'm still immersed in Gutterfighting, although probably at the risk of sidetracking from my objective. I'd come across Defendu in martial arts seminars some time ago, but I didn't figure it to have such an...elaborate history. Still, I'm looking for material more on the lines of say the materials raised in the discussions on rifle squad composition [1, 2] (especially the Melody and Karcher papers.

The official system of H2H in China is called Sanda (for a while it was called Sanshou); it is a simplified form of Zhongguo wushu, dispensing with the ritual and art typical of most other styles of "Kung-Fu" in favour of concentration on H2H. It is the standard H2H system of both the PLA and the ROC Armed Forces.
    I imagine long blades and other weapons aside from clubs and staffs have been dropped from the curriculum as well, or at least I haven't heard of it. Then again, the English language literature on wushu practice in modern PRC and ROC military and law enforcement is very limited.

For finding out about Chinese H2H experience in WWII and Korea, you'll probably need to learn Chinese.
    That's probably the case. The Japanese military experience with kenjutsu is also lacks much in the way of English scholarship, in fact most of the English literature is focused on judo and jujutsu in particular and is almost entirely instructional. I just hope that a possibly amazing period in East Asian military history is preserved in Chinese and Japanese.
    PH Cannady
    Correlate Systems

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Presley Cannady View Post
    Still, I'm looking for material more on the lines of say the materials raised in the discussions on rifle squad composition [1, 2] (especially the Melody and Karcher papers.
    Rifleman and slapout posted links to quite a few such materials on the Rifle Squad and other associated threads. There are also some under the heading of "Selected Sources" at the bottom of several "Infantry Section" articles here.

Interesting picture you have there on your new blog Norfolk. Royal Marines on Mt. Harriett?

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by jcustis View Post
    Interesting picture you have there on your new blog Norfolk. Royal Marines on Mt. Harriett?
    Close jcustis; Scots Guards at Tumbledown Mountain (couldn't find a good one of the RM except for the Landing at Port San Carlos - and it wasn't the right colours - pity.)