Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
An interesting aside on this is that the current batch of 18-20 year olds in the US generally has little experience of physical contact (to include sports) and tend to be contact averse, this has caused not only the Armed forces but the Police to have to strengthen their combatives training just to counter this trend.
When I went to the police academy (corrections) in Washington State I had been through Army basic training (1983) and Marine Corps Boot Camp (1984). The hand to hand combat training was much more intense in the civilian world. Almost every student in residence had formal martial arts training. This was 1987-8 though (so right at two decades distant).

From 1987 to 1993 I saw a transition from hand-to-hand to chemical reactants and "communications skills". The changing flavor was mirrored in patrol tactics as "cover and contact officer safety" and other techniques became more common place and distance for contact seemed to increase.

The changes that seem to have occurred are intriguing. Maybe I should go back and try Q school or boot again. I'm not THAT old... just fat. It would be interesting to see the differences between then and now.