There are a number of older threads relating to this subject. Some excellent comments too. I was the 'Medical Director' for an NGO that sailed in the USNS COMFORT last summer/fall. There were about 400 medics, Navy, AF, Army, Canadian military, USPS and NGO. We did primary care and some surgery in 12 countries around latin America.
The previous year the USNS Mercy had conducted a similar mission to SE Asia. This year the 6th Fleet is using a couple of ships to undertake a similar mission along the coast of West Africa and the MERCY is off again in June to SE Asia.
The use of US military assets to undertake these sorts of missions, as distinct from and in addition too humanitarian relief missions such as the MERCY's involvement in the Tsunami, is a ramping up of DOD and State Depts efforts to use healthcare as a diplomatic tool, they call it Health Diplomacy.
Having been a player on the team, i have some strong opinions about what can and cannot be achieved using this approach. I also have some reservations about the interface between the military and NGOs and the advantages and disadvantages for each.
As this is now an official US Navy mission, included within the most recent Navy Concept of Operations, i think it needs some considerable thought and debate.
Would someone like to kick off?