Thread: The Economics of Roadside Bombs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Everywhere they can

Quote Originally Posted by mhanson View Post
    I find it hard to believe that the insurgents have really placed IEDs everywhere they can. First of all, the number of IEDs observed has varied drastically over time -- are they finding new places to put them? Second, why not just place more IEDs near each other and give EOD more work to do?
    Matt, I believe that stating 'placed everywhere they can' translates to 'their' capabilities, not physical locations available. It can, and probably does also mean we have not discovered all of the IED placements (some of our common fallacies were our daily routines. Changing those also reduced IED discoveries/incidences that can not be easily recorded as the IEDs could very well still be out there). 'Where they can' also translates to not being observed during placements. Far too many variables.

Quote Originally Posted by mhanson View Post
    I think it's more likely that at some point, putting more IEDs in the ground is just not all that worthwhile (which I think is very close to what you are saying). Are you really getting a whole bunch more bang for your buck by daisy-chaining a seventh IED into a string of six? It'd probably be better to use those resources for some other activity.
    If we look at most of the recorded criminal-related IED incidences around the world, more often than not, there are at least two IEDs; a guaranteed or clear escape route if you will. Second or consecutive IEDs are indeed 'more bang for your buck', and could be specifically intended for EOD personnel (after all, we are decreasing IED effectiveness.).
    Last edited by Stan; 02-11-2008 at 08:54 PM.
    If you want to blend in, take the bus

Likely Nichol, I'll ask my father-in-law next time I see him. I'm terribly horrible with names. It was likely Nichol as that was the time period.

I've met dozens of super-bowl veteran and haven't a clue as to who, and the greatest impression has been their rather enormous rings. Same with politicians I've met. Now Vint Cerf I remember all 30 seconds of that conversation....
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.