Thread: Insurgoterrmilitia Ideogangs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thanks Ken,

My problem is that we seem to be assigning lots of labels to theses people - Freedom Fighters, Insurgent, Terrorist, Resistance etc. They are bandied around by the press - as you said quite nicely.

I think that the press applies the flashy labels to hit our buttons and convey the prevailing view - do the Iranians really view Hamas as evil? This only serves to muddy the waters as we try to place opposing forces into neat little boxes rather, rather than tackling the key issues:

1. What is thei motivation?
    2. Where is their support?
    3. How are they supplied?
    4. How do they recruit?

Once we start to address ourselves to these issues, progress should occur - at the end of the day if it growls and has claws; I don't debate it it is a bear or a squirrel - I make sure that I am safe

Default Agreed. The problem is the media are generally clueless.

They excel at muddying the water; not intentionally just through ignorance in too many cases.

Re: your points; I'd add to 'em a bit:

1. What is their motivation and can we counter it, if so how?
    2. Where is their support and can we institute a divorce?
    3. How are they supplied and can we interdict?
    4. How do they recruit and what alternatives can we offer?

...and submit that, generally, two of the four will be accomplished with only slight difficulty and the other two will be elusive.

The thing that'll keep us alert is that which two will be accomplished will vary from war to war and likely will vary within a given war over time. If we can crack the two easy items (whichever they may be) and get a good handle on any third item -- then the bad guys (catch all term, NY Times approved) will be operating at only about 25% capacity and are more likely to let us get to a position where a satisfactory outcome can be obtained -- there is no victory in a counterinsurgency in the normal sense.

One can add more items or combine for a smaller number but the process remains the same; there will be no 100% solution (and there need not be); identify the critical factors for the particular war, further identify the ones that you can most easily counter and work to get the preponderance going your way. All while getting shot at ...

Timurlane had it easy...

Default Confusion to your enemies

Ken , I like the additions, maybe we armchair generals can get a job fixing the world after all.

One can add more items or combine for a smaller number but the process remains the same; there will be no 100% solution (and there need not be); identify the critical factors for the particular war, further identify the ones that you can most easily counter and work to get the preponderance going your way. All while getting shot at ...

(sorry not quite figured the quote system yet)

Is this not a fault of the military for not setting the expectation? Of course the politicians manage the message, but don't we need a few brave members of the brass to dissent - and show that wars are not easy and that a terrorist war is a long haul project - not in and out on a Saturday night?