completion was tied solely to the fact that it showed ability to stick to a task.

I don't think anyone here's being anti intellectual or running a wholesale attack on higher education. Unless of course, one takes the statement or thought that "College isn't for everyone" as being either of those things. That statement makes sense to me and, apparently to about 60+ % of Americans who do not partake. The oft repeated figure of about 80% of university graduates working outside their field of study would seem to lend more credence to that statement...

In any event, I didn't pick up either of those vibes. I did pick up a denigration of those who do not meet the august standards some here seem to wish to apply.

The non-completion of a few hitches and some minor disciplinary problems will occur -- the guy with a minor record or who dropped out of high School is by definition a little rebellious. It'll make the NCOs and Officers have to work a bit harder and I suspect the rapid and easy Chaptering-out of those deemed deficient will cease. Been done before and will be again. It is truly no big thing.