I would think that desire is a more valuable commodity that academic prowness when it comes to recruiting those that would fight our wars. Sure, some sense of intellect is needed, but desire is much more important. If lowering the academic standards somewhat gives us a better chance at recruiting people who actually want to serve (and you have to think that those coming in now aren't doing it just for the college money!), then I'm all for it. One caveat however, leadership must recognize the difference in the initial product we're getting and make the necessary adjustments to account for it.

BTW, alot of these folks like Kaplan think we're all dumb anyway. Didn't John Kerry put forth the idea that we're all here because we had no viable options elsewhere? I still know people that think I was an idiot to trade a law firm suit and tie for AF cammies. Some will never understand. Yes, I'll take desire over academic prowness any day. Our internal education system, combined with effective leadership, can cure the initial academic issues but desire/heart is much more difficult to instill.