Thread: Stryker collection (merged thread)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    And how, precisely, would you fix the M113's weakness against under-road IEDs and anti-tank mines?

Sorry, I didn't see page 3, when I was responding to William Owen's post vis-a-vis fixing the weaknesses of the M113.
    ..and that's one think you can't fix, so you don't. You apply the means and technology within a field of doctrine and teaching.

As a by-stander the level of Stryker v M-113 debate had been just embarrassing. Wheels versus tracks is a false argument, unless couched in precisely defined operational context. A combined MRAP & Modernised M-113 Brigade of even Combat Team would be a step up in capability

The M-113 design of 2008 bears no resemblance to anything currently in US Army service. The UK fluffed the FV-432 upgraded for Iraq to save money, but what we got was 100% increase in capability.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

In addition to the above-stated benefits of "V" hulls, is the increased armor thickness afforded by any angled surface. For example, a 1" plate of steel, canted at 45 degrees, provides the equivalent of approximately 1.5" of steel armor, as the projectile (if any) has to travel 1.5 times as far due to the angle involved.